Tue 05
First Team
Curzon Ashton
J O'Donnell (2'), D Tear (40'), C Oliver (86')
Gateshead 3-0 Curzon Ashton

Gateshead 3-0 Curzon Ashton

By Jack McGraghan
Share via

By Rory Drake | The Heed returned to winning ways against Curzon Ashton on Tuesday night

Goals from JJ O’Donnell, Dom Tear and Connor Oliver helped Gateshead to a bonfire night victory over Curzon Ashton at the Gateshead International Stadium.

The game was just minutes old when O’Donnell headed home from close range, and it was 2-0 before half time with Tear poking home.

Oliver sealed Gateshead’s seventh win in eight home games with a strike from range late on.

Mike Williamson made two changes from the side that lost to Guiseley on Saturday with Connor Oliver and Jordan Preston replacing Liam Agnew and Josh Kayode.

Gateshead made an explosive start to the game and nearly took a second minute lead when Alex Nicholson’s cross was met by Jordan Preston whose header was going in before Cameron Mason tipped it over.

From the resulting corner JJ O’Donnell ignited the game, heading home from Greg Olley’s cross to put the Heed in front.

Curzon Ashton should have been level in the 16th minute when Sean Miller headed down James Baillie’s cross, but Michael Nelson was there to clear it off the line.

Curzon came close again midway through the half when a mix-up between James and Nelson gifted Miller the ball in the box, but Nelson recovered well to block the shot.

Gateshead went up the other end and should have doubled the lead, Dom Tear’s angled shot was saved, but the ball fell kindly for him to send a ball across the six-yard box to O’Donnell, who saw a shot deflected wide.

Just after the half hour mark a good team move from the Heed ended with Preston firing a shot from the edge of the box, but Matt Regan was there to get a block in.

Shortly after, Gateshead looked to have made it 2-0 when Olley’s low cross was tapped in by O’Donnell but the flag was raised for offside.

Five minutes before half time Gateshead did double the lead, Olley played in Preston whose shot was blocked into the path of Tear who made no mistake from close range.

The Heed had a chance to make the score more comfortable on the stroke of half time with a Preston cross taking an unpredictable bounce, O’Donnell was the first to react but couldn’t guide a header on target.

The second half started at a slower tempo than the first, but Gateshead kept threatening to spark the game back into life.

Five minutes after the break Preston cut in and shot from the left but his effort was straight at Mason.

The next chance also fell to the Heed with Nicholson’s cross being met by O’Donnell from close range, but Gateshead’s joint top scorer was unable to find the target.

Chances were few and far between with Gateshead looking comfortable at 2-0, but flair player Olley was proving a constant threat for Curzon.

With 15 minutes to play Nicky Deverdics picked out Olley at the far post who crossed back across goal, but no-one was able to get on the end of it.

Curzon were not out of the game just yet and came close when an Isaac Sinclair cross found Regan in the box who headed wide.

With four minutes to play a rocket from Oliver from 25 yards found the bottom left corner to make it 3-0 and seal the win.

Gateshead XI: James; Nicholson, Lees, Nelson, Barrow ©; Oliver (Forbes 88’), Olley, Deverdics; Tear, Preston (Kayode 73’), O’Donnell (Agnew 73’)

Unused subs: Guthrie, Blackett

Goals: O’Donnell (2), Tear (40), Oliver (86)

Bookings: None

Curzon Ashton XI: Mason; Baillie, Davies, Wroe (Saunders 83’), Halls, Regan, Baningime (Merrill 58’), Claveley, Miller, Trinkett-Smith (Smith 58’), Sinclair

Unused subs: Askew, Shaw

Goals: None

Bookings: None

Referee: Adam Williamson

MOTM: Greg Olley

Attendance: 707

Share via

Match details

Match date

Tue 05, Nov 2019






MANarama National League North

League position

Curzon Ashton
Greg Olley

Player of the match

Greg Olley