Sat 24
First Team
Farsley Celtic
J Spencer (52'), L Parkin (69'), T Walton (93')
Gateshead 0-3 Farsley Celtic

Gateshead 0-3 Farsley Celtic

By Jack McGraghan
Share via

Gateshead suffered their first defeat of the season as Farsley Celtic secured a 3-0 win at the International Stadium on Saturday afternoon

Despite Gateshead’s strong first-half display, Farsley Celtic took the lead after 52 minutes via James Spencer’s close-range finish to get their noses in front.

Luke Parkin’s low strike from 18 yards doubled their lead with 20 minutes to go, before Paul Blackett’s missed penalty six minutes from time saw the Heed lose their five-game unbeaten run as Tyler Walton added a third in injury time to rub salt into the wounds.

Mike Williamson made two changes to the side that earned their first win of the season at Kettering Town last weekend, with Nicky Deverdics and Connor Oliver coming into the starting 11 in place of Jordan Preston and Liam Agnew.

The Heed started the brighter of the two sides, pressing high in the unrelenting heat and stealing possession from the visitors’ defence on numerous occasions.

Greg Olley was the first to get a real sight of goal when he rattled the crossbar after six minutes with a powerful drive from the edge of the penalty area.

Scott Barrow and Oliver both tried their luck from distance while Gateshead remained on top, but their efforts were ultimately sent wayward of Elliott Wynne’s goal.

The visitors enjoyed a spell of pressure in and around the Heed’s penalty area midway through the half and struck the post themselves when James Spencer connected with ex-Gateshead defender Tom Allan’s header to the back post.

JJ O’Donnell then struck the woodwork at the other end with a header from 12 yards only to be denied by the referee’s whistle for a foul in the build-up, while Nathan Cartman put the ball in the back of the net for the visitors only to see it ruled out for offside.

Williamson’s men did wrestle back some semblance of control in the latter stages of the half, but the elusive clear-cut chance evaded them with things remaining goalless at the break.

It would be the Celt Army who struck first however just seven minutes into the second half, as Cartman found Spencer inside the area before the forward struck high into Brad James’ net.

Olley almost restored parity with just over 20 minutes remaining when he rose highest in the box, heading O’Donnell’s cross over the crossbar.

Disaster struck within moments of Olley’s chance however, as the visitors raced down the other end one minute later and doubled their lead as Parkin fired a low effort into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Blackett was presented with the opportunity to halve the deficit from the penalty spot after Dom Tear was brought down at the back post, but the forward blasted over the bar with just six minutes remaining.

Blackett then thought he had found the net in injury time after converting Olley's

Gateshead XI: James; Nicholson, Barrow (c), Lees, Nelson; Oliver, Forbes (Thomson, 83’); Deverdics (Blackett, 57’), Olley, O’Donnell; Kayode (Tear, 70’).

Unused subs: Guthrie, Greenfield.

Goals: none

Bookings: none

Farsley Celtic XI: Wynne; Richards, Hayhurst, Higgins, Allan, Clayton (c), B. Atkinson, C. Atkinson, Spencer (Walker, 86’), Cartman (Syers’ 83’), Parkin (Walton, 70’).

Unused subs: Trenerry, Baldwin

Goals: Spencer (52’), Parkin (69’), Walton (90+3')

Bookings: Parkin (38’), Allan (75’)

Referee: Dean Watson

Greg Olley

Attendance: 778

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 24, Aug 2019






Vanarama National League North

League position

Farsley Celtic
Greg Olley

Player of the match

Greg Olley