Sat 10
AFC Telford United
First Team
AFC Telford United 0-0 Gateshead

AFC Telford United 0-0 Gateshead

By Jack McGraghan
Share via

By Rory Drake | Gateshead extended their record to three games unbeaten after playing out a goalless draw at the New Bucks Head against AFC Telford United.

Gateshead edged the first half in terms of chances, but weren't able to put any away with a relatively even half finishing goalless.

Telford dominated the second half putting Gateshead under constant pressure at times, but neither team was able to break the deadlock. Both seeing efforts cleared off the line in the closing stages.

Gateshead came close a number of times in the opening 10 minutes with JJ O'Donnell a constant threat for the Telford backline.

Two minutes into the game a right-wing cross from Greg Olley found O'Donnell in the middle who headed over the bar.

Alex Nicholson then put in a cross from right, which found O'Donnell in the box but he couldn't divert it past the keeper.

Moments later O'Donnell tried his luck with a shot from edge of box, but it lacked power and was easily dealt with by Corey Addai.

Telford's first chance came 13 minutes into the game after O'Donnell was adjudged to have fouled Darryl Knights just outside the area. Stephan Morley stepped up, but couldn't find the target from 20 yards.

Telford were awarded another freekick shortly after, this time from the left with Knights over it, but it was hit straight into the arms of Brad James.

right wing cross from Chris Lait, found James McQuilkin who couldn't get a shot away. the ball fell to Ellis Deeney in the middle, but Alex Nicholson threw himself in the way to cut out the danger.

Deneey was then involved at the other end, with an error playing in Joshua Kayode, who was unable to capitalise, firing a tame effort wide from 20 yards.

Gateshead again then came close, with a Nicholson cross finding O'Donnell who turned over the bar from close range.

Telford were nearly gifted the lead just after the half-hour mark when a powerful backpass from Scott Barrow asked a lot of James. The Middlesbrough loanee took the ball down well but was charged down by Knights, and was perhaps fortunate to see the ball bounce over the bar.

Gateshead were next to try their luck. Kayode looked to dink Addai from just inside the box, but it was easy enough for the Telford keeper.

Within two minutes of the restart subsitute Marcus Dinanga was causing problems for the Heed, waltzing through the defence before playing in Adam Walker, who was denied by a stunning save by James. The ball fell kindly for Knights, but the Telford man blazed over the bar from close range.

Aaron Williams then came close for the hosts after breaking clear on the counter, but saw his shot hit the outside of the post and go wide.

Just before the hour mark Telford had a great chance to open the scoring with Morley finding Dinanga in the box, but the substitute could only fire over.

Dinanga then came close again moments later, flicking the ball over his head before firing a fierce effort that looked destined for the top corner but the forward was denied by another good save from James.

Telford were looking the more dangerous side, and came close again when a Morley freekick was headed down at the far post by Shane Sutton to Theo Streete, who could only bundle wide.

With 20 minutes to go Olley whipped in a corner which caught the wind and nearly caught out Addai, but the Bucks keeper dealt with it.

James was proving to be the difference with a string of good saves to deny Telford and was so again in the 77th minute, turning a powerful Dinanga header over the bar.

Moments later Telford looked certain to open the scoring, but with the goal at his mercy Knights couldn't hit the target.

With 90 seconds left on the clock Dinanga looked to be turning the ball in at the far post following a corner, but Mike Williamson was on the line to scoop the ball clear.

Gateshead then came close at the other end with Olley unable to force the ball in from close range after being played in by Kayode.

Dinanga again tried his luck deep in to stoppage time, but James was again equal to his effort.

Telford XI: Addai; White, Morley, Deeney, Sutton (c), Streete, Lait, Walker (Cowans 71'), Williams, McQuilkin (Dinanga 46'), Knights (Brown 88')

Unused subs: Tharme, Royle

Goals: None

Bookings: McQuilkin (8'), Deeney (79') Streete (90+3')

Gateshead XI: James; Nicholson, Lees, Nelson (Williamson 68'), Barrow (c); Oliver (Forbes 83'), Agnew; Thomson, Olley, O'Donnell (Preston 61') ;Kayode

Unused subs: Blackett, Greenfield

Goals: None

Bookings: Nelson (45'), Oliver (58'), Barrow (64')

Referee: Daniel Locker

MOTM: Brad James


Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 10, Aug 2019






Vanarama National League North

League position

AFC Telford United
Brad James

Player of the match

Brad James