• SAT 09
  • KO 15:00
  • VNL
  • HOME
  • Gateshead FC
  •  2-1 
  • Barnet
  • By Rory Drake

    Goals from Greg Olley and Tom White helped Gateshead come from behind against 10-man Barnet to record a first home win in 2019.

    The Bees went ahead midway through the first half with Ephron Mason-Clark scoring from close range but had Shaquille Coulthirst sent off for a second bookable offence just before the break.

    Olley equalised from close range in the 48th minute before White fired Gateshead in front with 20 minutes to go.

    Gateshead came into the game still unbeaten under Ben Clark and looking to build on three points at Aldershot last weekend last weekend.

    Gateshead’s first chance came eight minutes in, a cross from Connor Thomson on the right found Steve Rigg at the near post, who headed just wide.

    Barnet then came close at the other end with Dan Sweeney heading a Medy Elito corner on target, only for Robbie Tinkler to head the ball over.

    Barnet should have taken the lead in the 14th minute when Dan Sparkes’ cross found Mason-Clark unmarked in the box, who headed straight at Aynsley Pears.

    Barnet took the lead 24 minutes in when a looped ball from Shaquille Coulthirst found Mason-Clark alone in the box, the Gateshead defence stopped, asking for an offside which wasn’t given, and Mason-Clark slid the ball past Pears.

    Gateshead were almost level within four minutes, a Pears goalkick was headed back by a Barnet defender, Thomson picked up the loose ball and slid in Rigg who went one-on-one with Mark Cousins, but saw his shot bounce back off the post.

    The ball fell back to Rigg, who with the goal at his mercy, put it wide.

    Barnet were reduced to 10 men in first half stoppage time when Coulthirst, not for the first time, threw himself to the floor, and was rewarded with a second yellow card.

    Gateshead had the chance to draw level on the stroke of half time, but Scott Barrow’s freekick from long range went over the bar.

    Gateshead couldn’t have started the second half much better. Mike Williamson found Thomson out wide, who crossed for Olley to slide home from range.

    Mason-Clark had the chance to restore Barnet’s lead just after the hour mark when a mistake from Williamson sent him through on goal, but the Barnet striker’s effort blazed wide.

    Gateshead nearly went ahead from a corner 68 minutes into the game, but the final touch was just missing in a skirmish in front of the line.

    Gateshead took the lead in the 72nd minute, a cross from Thomson was headed away, falling for White, who curled a shot just inside the post.

    Gateshead: Pears; Devitt, Williamson, Mellish; Tinkler, Forbes (Hunter 71’), Olley, White (Maloney 89’), Barrow ©; Rigg, Thomson

    Unused subs: Foden, Salkeld, O’Donnell

    Goals: Olley (48), White (72)

    Bookings: White (17), Tinkler (40), Thomson (90+2)

    Barnet: Cousins; Alexander, Sweeney, Reynolds ©, Johnson; Boucard (Charles 78’), Elito, Taylor; Sparkes, Coulthirst, Mason-Clark (Tarpey 83’)

    Unused subs: Matrevics, Fonguck, Tutonda

    Goals: Mason-Clark (24)

    Bookings: Coulthirst (38), Reynolds (45+4), Sparkes (77)

    Off: Coulthirst (45+2)

    Referee: Matthew Dicicco

    Attendance: 665 (115 Barnet)

    MOTM: Connor Thomson