• KO
  • Gateshead FC
  • By Jack McGraghan

    GATESHEAD’S winless run stretched to five games as two late goals from Bromley ensured caretaker manager Micky Cummins lost his 100% record as Heed boss.


    Danny Johnson’s 68th minute header put the hosts in front before two goals in under 10 minutes from Louis Dennis and Brett Williams saw Bromley leave the International Stadium with all three points.

    Cummins made two changes to the side that drew 0-0 at Fylde in midweek, with one enforced shortly before kick-off as Dan Hanford replaced James Montgomery due to injury.

    In midfield Russell Penn came in for Wes York as the Heed switched to a 4-3-3 with Scott Barrow moving from left-back to left-wing.

    Neil Smith meanwhile named an unchanged Bromley side after their 2-0 win at Maidstone on Tuesday night.

    Scott Barrow’s cross provided the first real chance of the game as the ball was floated towards Neill Byrne at the back post but Gateshead’s captain could only head wide.

    The Heed continued to push forward and should have found themselves a goal ahead on 20 minutes when Johnson’s shot deflected to an unmarked Barrow inside the area, only for the Welshman to send his shot into the side netting from a tight angle.

    The visitors’ defensive set-up succeeded in frustrating the Heed throughout the opening 45 minutes despite not testing Hanford, leaving the scoreline goalless heading into the break.

    Richard Peniket was brought on for the injured Callum Williams with 35 minutes remaining to inject some urgency into the Heed’s attack, and he had Gregory scrambling across goal four minutes after his introduction as he won the ball back and fired just wide of the far post.

    Penn was the next Gateshead man to try his luck with his shot from 25 yards a whisker away from finding the top-left corner.

    Bromley substitute Williams almost made Gateshead pay for missed opportunities as he broke through on goal 65 minutes in, but in similar fashion to Barrow found the side netting when he should have tested Hanford.

    The hosts finally found the breakthrough as Peniket raced down the left-wing before floating the ball in towards Johnson at the back post who nodded home for his fourth goal of the season and 37th for Gateshead overall.

    The Ravens were handed a lifeline late on as Barrow was adjudged to have fouled Jack Holland inside the penalty area, and Dennis made no mistake from the spot sending Hanford the wrong way to equalise.

    Holland almost put Bromley in front moments later as he was played in behind the Heed defence but sent his shot into the side netting as the game burst into life during the final five minutes.

    The visitors stole all three points in injury time as Williams headed home Adam Mekki’s cross from close range, making Gateshead pay for their missed opportunities.

    Gateshead (4-3-3): Hanford; Vassell, Fyfield, Byrne, Williams (Peniket, 54’); Penn, McLaughlin, Hannant; Burrow, Johnson, Barrow

    Subs not used: Macleod (GK), Maxwell, Langstaff, Preston

    Goals: Johnson (68’)

    Bookings: Fyfield (60′), Barrow (83’)

    Bromley (4-2-3-1): Gregory, Dunne, Holland, Johnson, Sterling, Rees, Higgs, Wanadio, Allen (Mekki, 46’), Dennis, Porter (Williams, 37’)

    Subs not used: Chorley, Raymond, Wynter

    Goals: Dennis (pen) (84’), Williams (90+3’)

    Bookings: Dennis (17’)

    Referee: Joe Hull

    Attendance: 853 (52 Bromley)

    MOTM: Vassell