Setting The Scene

The Heed welcome back Hertfordshire outfit Boreham Wood to the GIS today in the Second Round of the FA Trophy.

It will be the second time that the Wood have ventured up to the GIS this season after previously facing Gateshead in the Vanarama National League, back in September.

The match in the autumn finished with both sides sharing the spoils in what was a competitive and intense affair.

The Heed opened the scoring through Wes York, whose powerful run was matched by the shot when he rattled an effort past the Wood’s stopper, Grant Smith.

Gateshead had looked to have secured all three points but, in the dying moments of the game, Ricky Shakes arrived to ultimately secure a point for Luke Garrard’s side.

The Heed had failed to clear a late corner and as the ball dropped nicely for Shakes, the midfielder wrapped his foot around the ball and on the half-volley, struck it sweetly past James Montgomery.

The result ended a run of two consecutive defeats for Boreham Wood and since stopping the rot, the Wood have only lost one game in the National League – A 4-0 defeat at home to Sutton United on Boxing Day – their first since September.

The defeat marked 11 games undefeated for Luke Garrard however, six of these results had ended with the points shared.

Since the defeat to Sutton United on Boxing Day, the Wood have restarted their unbeaten run, which now stretches to four matches.

But in the FA Trophy, Boreham Wood have found it considerably more difficult.The Wood were drawn away to National League South side Dartford in the First Round of the competition and the Kent side proved to be quite the opponent.

The Darts earned a 1-1 at their Home, Princes Park, and thus took the game to a replay at Meadow Park on the following Tuesday.

Once again, Dartford proved their metal in the FA Trophy against the Wood as the hosts had to come from behind twice to take the game to penalties,

Boreham Wood’s stopper Grant Smit managed to save three out of the four penalties taken against him to ensure Luke Garrard’s side progressed to the Second Round.

Team News

Kieran Green is cup tied having played in the previous round for Blyth Spartans. James Montgomery (hand) is still sidelined but JJ O’Donnell (ankle) is nearing a return. Nyal Bell joined up with the squad on Thursday following the end of his loan at Chester and will could provided another attacking option for Steve Watson.

What We’re Saying

Ahead of Saturday’s match, Gateshead boss Watson said: “After the Guiseley game was cancelled we really want to get back to winning ways after a disappointing run of results.

“We’ve trained well all week and had a good chat about everything and how we can come out firing today and get into the next round of the competition.

“I think the Trophy is a good momentum builder because wins breed confidence and we’re in need of a win at the moment. Hopefully we can get to the next round at the first attempt today and look forward to the draw.”

What They’re Saying

Following their FA Trophy penalty shoot-out victory against Dartford, Luke Garrard said: “If you were a neutral watching today, it had absolutely everything.

“It was a game at both ends. It had a bite to it. It had a bit of quality to it at times and I felt towards the end of it, in the 90 (minutes), we could have had two or three goals and in extra time, I think we could have had another two or three goals.

“It’s frustrating in the manner in which we’ve gone through in terms of the extra game, the extra minutes under our belt but I’m over the moon that we’ve progressed, I’m over the moon that we’re into the next stage.”

Stat Attack

Both Gateshead and Boreham Wood have never won the FA Trophy or reached the final. Their best finishes have been reaching the semi-final stage which Gateshead did in 2011 and Boreham Wood managed back in 2006.

Ticketing Info

Reduced tickets are available on the gate:

£10 – adult

£5 – concession/student

£2 – under-16s


Last Time We Met

Back in September, Boreham Wood’s Ricky Shakes scored a late equaliser to earn Boreham Wood a draw at Gateshead.

Bruno Andrade was almost clean through for the visitors after five minutes, but Callum Williams did well to recover and allow goalkeeper James Montgomery to collect for Gateshead.

Chances were scarce after that until Scott Barrow drove into the box and made it easy for Wes York to smash home his first goal of the season and give the hosts a deserved 1-0 lead on the half-hour.

With Boreham Wood struggling to impose themselves it looked like they would suffer a third straight defeat, but Shakes pounced on poor defending from a corner to volley home the equaliser after 87 minutes.


Gateshead(4-4-2): Montgomery; Williams, Byrne, Fyfield, Barow; York, Maxwell (Penn 80’), Hannant, Mclaughlin; Johnson (Preston 71’), Peniket (Burrow 15’).

Subs not used: Hanford, O’Donnell

Goals: York (30’)

Bookings: Hannant (7’),

Boreham Wood (3-5-2): G.Smith; Turley, Stephens, Wells; K.Smith, Ricketts, Shakes, Champion, Turgott (Jeffers 60’); Holman (Thomas 81’), Andrade.

Subs not used: Woodwards, Benson, Bozkurt.

Goals: Shakes (87’)

Bookings: Stephens (74’), Ricky Shakes (90+2’)

Referee: Paul Marsden

Attendance: 606 (Boreham Wood 23)

MOTM: Scott Barrow