Cambridge United 0-1 Gateshead

16/12/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Yemi OdubadeAnth Smith's reign as Gateshead manager got off to a sensational start when Yemi Odubade came off the bench to score a last gasp winner at The Abbey.

The former Oxford United and Stevenage man picked U's keeper Jonathon Hedge's pocket on the edge of the box to fire The Heed into the last 16 of the FA Trophy.

Cambridge, while never dominant, hit the woodwork four times, three in the first half, but The Heed rode their luck to nick it at the death.

A 3-0 defeat at The Abbey last week brought Ian Bogie's six-year tenure at Gateshead to an end, new man Smith getting off to a dream start with a clean sheet and an away win.

"It was a great performance from the lads in a hard fought and even cup-tie and I'm delighted to get off to a winning start and be in the last 16 of the Trophy," said Smith.

"The game could have gone either way but I got the reaction I was looking for from the players and we stuck at it and worked very hard.

"Cambridge hit the woodwork a few times but we also had chances and it was great for Odubade to come on and get the winner in the last minute.

"We pressed the ball well and put in a real shift. It was an excellent win and we can now look forward to the 3rd round draw on Monday."

A low key first half was enlivened when the visitors post was struck twice in the same passage of play, first by Tom Shaw and then Tom Elliott.

It was a let off for Gateshead who had changed their formation and three personnel following last week's abject display on the same ground.

On loan Dunfermline left back Paddy Boyle curled a shot just wide of the far post in the Tynesiders main threat in the half.

The U's were then denied by the woodwork for a third time when Josh Coulson hooked the ball back into the box after a Rossi Jarvis corner had been cleared.

Adam Bartlett superbly Sean Macaulay's header onto the post to ensure the first half ended goalless.

Elliott shot wide and Jarvis had a shot charged down as Richard Money's side looked to up the tempo after the break.

Coulson then had to turn a dangerous Josh Gillies cross over his own bar before the U's wasted a good chance to break the deadlock.

Elliott's 64th minute cross found Willmott who blazed wastefully over the bar as Bartlett narrowed the angle.

Ryan Donaldson then slipped a pass into the path of the industrious Chandler who shot narrowly wide.

Gillies had a shot deflected for a corner which saw Donaldson curl a shot into Hedge's hands as both sides strove for the winner.

The U's immediately broke away with Willmott hitting the bar six minutes from time with his weaker left foot.

With a replay looming Bartlett's long clearance saw Odubade pounce at the death to keep Gateshead on the Wembley trail.

It was a first away win in three months as Smith got his tenure as Gateshead manager off to a winning start with victory at The Abbey.


Cambridge United: Hedge, Roberts, Jennings, McAuley, Coulson, Willmott, Dunk (Pugh 70), Jarvis, Shaw, Gash (Smith 73), Elliott
Subs (not used): Ross, Haynes-Brown, Hudson


Gateshead: Bartlett, Wilson, Boyle, Chandler, Magnay; Clark, Gillies, Turnbull, Hatch, Brown (Odubade 73), Donaldson
Subs (not used):
Nixon (gk), Henderson, Cummins, Bush

Goal: Odubade (90)


Referee: Brian Hallwood

Attendance: 1,019


Carl Magnay


Glen Wilson


Yemi Odubade

Photos by Steve Wells