Alfreton Town 2-0 Gateshead

21/10/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Ian BogieGateshead crashed out of the FA Cup at the first time of asking when they lost their 4th qualifying round tie against Conference rivals Alfreton Town in Derbyshire.

The Reds scored twice in nine second half minutes to claim the £12,500 prize-money and have been drawn away to Wrexham in today's 1st round draw.

Gateshead failed to score for the second consecutive game and they rarely troubled Jon Stewart in the home goal.

"Going out of the FA Cup is a hard pill to swallow," said Heed boss Ian Bogie "it's bitterly disappointing but we didn't do enough to get anything out of the game.

"Losing three midfield players through injury by the hour mark, two at half-time, was a blow and when it rains it pours.

"But it was a disappointing performance and we didn't look like getting back into the tie after Alfreton had scored.

"The goal took a big deflection and deflated us but Alfreton created the better openings and deserved to win the game."

The recalled Micky Cummins put a header early in the game over the bar from Chris Bush's left side cross.

Josh Gillies was high and wide after he cut inside in what turned out to be an evenly fought first half.

On loan Leeds United defender Ross Killock then prevented Gillies from pulling the trigger inside the penalty area with a timely challenge.

Adam Bartlett parried a Danny Meadows effort at the other end, Tomlinson's follow up blocked and Nathan Arnold hitting the loose ball wide.

The Heed's former Hartlepool striker James Brown glanced a header well wide while Darran Kempson's shot from the box flew just wide for the Reds.

Nathan Fisher and James Marwood replaced injured duo
Ryan Donaldson and Phil Turnbull for the second half.

Fisher had the chance to break the deadlock in the 53rd minute when Stewart spilt Gillies' free kick but the on loan Burnley keeper atoned with a crucial block.

After Fisher had been denied Arnold's eight-yard shot took a big deflection off James Curtis to leave Bartlett stranded and put the Reds ahead two minutes later

Paul Clayton shot just over before Tomlinson was allowed to run at the back pedalling Heed defence to cut inside and fire across Bartlett to seal the game.

Arnold was left with only Bartlett to beat but the Tynesiders keeper prevented further damage with a fine save.

Fisher shot straight at Stewart from 25 yards but The Heed did not look like getting back into the tie on a disappointing afternoon in Derbyshire.


Alfreton Town: Stewart; Law, Kempson, Killock, Franklin; Bradley, Streete, Meadows; Clayton (Worsfold 88),Tomlinson, Arnold.
Subs (not used): Barnes (gk), Russell, Taylor, Quinn, Franks

Goals: Arnold (55), Tomlinson (64)

Booking: Law (76)


Gateshead: Bartlett, McGlen, Bush, Chandler (Odubade 62), Curtis, Magnay, Gillies, Turnbull (Fisher 46), Brown, Donaldson (Marwood 46), Cummins
Subs (not used): Boyle, Hatch, Nixon (gk), Wilson.

Booking: Marwood (90)


Referee: Graham Horwood (Luton)

Attendance: 338


. Gateshead will now play Woking at home in the Blue Square Bet Premier on Saturday 3rd November instead of January 19th


Adam Bartlett


Carl Magnay


James Brown


James Curtis

Photos courtesy of Alfreton Town FC