Gateshead 2-2 Macclesfield Town

10/10/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Jamie ChandlerGateshead recorded their third consecutive draw to remain mid-table in the Blue Square Bet Premier.

The Tynesiders led by two goals with 20 minutes left but were pegged back by visitors Macclesfield Town.

Gateshead are now without a win in six games and Macclesfield five after the two sides played out an entertaining game on a superb surface.

The Heed handed a first start to Lance McGlen at right back and the former Carlisle United youngster gave an assured performance.

The game got off to a slow start, the first effort on goal coming after 20 minutes when Matthew Barnes-Homer's angled shot was held at the near post by Adam Bartlett.

Yemi Odubade was then in on goal from Bartlett's long punt but shot wide with only Lance Cronin to beat.

Only a great challenge inside the box from James Curtis prevented a real opportunity for the Silkmen after Barnes-Homer had beaten Chris Bush in the air.

Josh Gillies went between two defenders on the left side of the box but his shot towards the far corner was held at full stretch by Cronin.

A great move then broke the deadlock eight minutes from the interval.

Curtis dinked a good ball from halfway down the right channel where Odubade cushioned a first time pass into the path of Jamie Chandler.

The acting captain drove into the right side of the penalty area where he drove a low shot just inside the far post for a fine finish.

The first half had been a tight affair and it was Macclesfield who started the second on the front foot.

John Paul Kissock's curler was clawed away one handed by Bartlett under his bar as the visitors looked threatening.

Odubade then set up James Brown, making his home debut, but the former Hartlepool striker's effort was blocked at the expense of a corner.

Carl Magnay's header from Gillies' cross was tipped over by Cronin who then saved from Gillies.

The Heed had the rare luxury of a two goal cushion when Curtis bundled a Gillies left side corner into the net just past the hour.

That should have been that but Macclesfield were soon back in it with a superb overhead kick from Barnes-Homer into the top corner following a Ryan Jackson cross from the right.

The Silkmen were moving the ball around with intent and Bartlett had to dive to his right to keep out a low Kissock drive.

The Heed keeper, however, allowed another Kissock shot to go underneath him and past the post for a corner which proved pivotal.

The miscued flag kick was bundled in from close range by Silkmen sub. Chris Holroyd at the near post for the scruffiest of equalisers six minutes from time.

Both sides were unsuccessful in their attempt to find a winner as their winless run continued.


Gateshead: Bartlett, McGlen, Bush, Chandler, Curtis, Magnay, Gillies (Cummins 86), Turnbull, Brown (Fisher 75), Odubade (Marwood 80), Donaldson
Subs (not used): Nixon (gk), Wilson

Goals: Gillies (37), Curtis (63)


Macclesfield Town: Cronin, Jackson, Brown, Braham-Barrett, Martin, Murtagh, Mendy, Wedgbury (Mackreth 76), Barnes-Homer, Morgan-Smith (Holroyd 66), Kissock (Fairhurst 87)
Subs (not used): Diagne, Mills

Goals: Barnes-Homer (71), Holroyd (84)


Referee: Anthony Backhouse (Brampton)

Attendance: 557


Jamie Chandler

Jamie Chandler


James Curtis

James Curtis


James Marwood

James Marwood


James Curtis

Photos by Steven White & Charlie Waugh.