Hyde 1-1 Gateshead

07/10/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Josh GilliesFor the previous weekends 1-1 draw with Telford read the same for Hyde - except that Gateshead created even more opportunities yet again took only one of them.

A terrific, all action game had goalmouth thrills galore but The Heed's profligacy in front of goal is starting to cause concern and dismay in equal measure.

Had they possessed a predatory hit man Telford and Hyde would have been on the end of heavy defeats, instead they claimed a share of the spoils.

The approach play and creativity was again out of the top drawer but the finishing wasn't while the opposition goalkeeper again took the Man of the Match honours.

Frustrated Gateshead boss Ian Bogie's patience is wearing thin as, for the second week running, he looked back on a game that should have been won at a canter.

"I cannot be any more frustrated," admitted Bogie "I'm devastated. It was attack versus defence for long periods and we should have won comfortably.

"It's a positive that we're creating so many chances but we're lacking a cutting edge at the top end of the pitch where we need to show more composure.

" It was another one-sided game in our favour but we still haven't come away with three points.

"Our approach play was good and creativity isn't a problem - hopefully we'll put the chances away in the home games against Macclesfield and Cambridge this week."

Yemi Odubade and Ryan Donaldson both had shots blocked on the line in the first three minutes before Adam Bartlett allowed Scott Spencer's shot to find the net after just five minutes.

Donaldson had another shot saved and Chris Bush headed just over from Josh Gillies' free kick and Glenn Wilson headed a Gillies corner well wide.

Hyde then had the chance to double their lead when Bush gave away a penalty for a foul on experienced striker Phil Jevons.

Bartlett, however, atoned for his earlier error to save Spencer's spot kick low to his right and prevent further damage.

Gillies and Jamie Chandler both cleared headers off the line before Gateshead poured forward, regularly getting behind the Hyde back line, Odubade having joy out wide.

The Tynesiders were level ten minutes from the break when Odubade found Gillies who left two defenders in his wake before shooting across the keeper and into the far corner.

It was a great finish and James Curtis headed a Gillies corner just over and then almost gave his side an interval lead.

Odubade found Bush whose cross saw Curtis clip the bar with another header on the stroke of half-time.

The Heed ran Hyde ragged in the second half, sub. James Brown twice going close, the first with a header that was blocked on the line.

Another Curtis header hit overworked keeper Ash Frith and Gillies shot over before Jevons set up David Poole who drove a shot just off target.

Gateshead were getting in behind but too often failing to pick out a man with the cross.

Chandler set up the in-form Phil Turnbull whose shot was saved at the second attempt while Gillies' close range shot was also saved after a good ball from Bush.

The golden opportunity to take the lead came midway through the second half but Odubade fluffed his lines four yards from goal from Donaldson's pull back.

Brown was just wide as The Heed continue to press, Hyde sub Ryan Crowther dragging a good chance wide at the other end.

Bush had another effort held by Frith while Bartlett denied Spencer in the 89th minute.

Heed sub Nathan Fisher ran into the home box in injury time but shot across the face of goal from a tight angle instead of trying to pick out a colleague.

It proved to be another frustrating afternoon for Bogie's men and the travelling Heed Army who will hope to see the side return to winning ways against Macclesfield on Tuesday.


Hyde: Frith, Brizell, Lomax, Dennis (Pearson 75), Ashworth, Brown, Poole, Byrne (Crowther 54), Tomsett, Spencer, Jevons (Cox 67)
Subs (not used): Moses, Cassidy

Goal: Spencer (5)


Gateshead: Bartlett; Wilson, Boyle (Cummins 56), Chandler, Curtis; Bush, Gillies, Turnbull, McGorrigan (Brown 46), Odubade, Donaldson (Fisher 80)
Subs (not used): Nixon (gk), Marwood

Goal: Gillies (35)


Referee: Darren Handley (Lancashire)

Attendance: 470


Yemi Odubade

Yemi Odubade


Josh Gillies

Josh Gillies, Jamie Chandler and Ryan McGorrigan


Gatesheac celebrate the equaliser

Gatesheac celebrate the equaliser


James Brown heads goalwards in the second half

James Brown heads goalwards in the second half. Photos by Paul Prole.