Woking 2-1 Gateshead

23/09/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Phil TurnbullGateshead slipped to a third defeat in four games after a frustrating afternoon in Surrey that saw them end with ten men against newcomers Woking.

Captain Ben Clark pulled up in the warm-up forcing a reshuffle at the back with Carl Magnay switching to centre-half and summer signing Glenn Wilson handed his first start.

The game then got off to a disastrous start for The Heed as Woking forged ahead after just six minutes.

Jack Parkinson's 22-yard drive took a big deflection that left Adam Bartlett flat-footed and gave the home side the early boost they were looking for.

Gateshead went on to dominate possession but conceded a second goal after 26 minutes against the run of play, Phil Turnbull's reply in the second half not enough.

"We had plenty of possession but didn't show enough conviction in front of goal and conceded two poor goals," said Gateshead boss Ian Bogie.

"It was disappointing to concede early on after losing Clark in the warm up with a hamstring pull and had to chase the game when we fell further behind.

"We've got to take our chances and shore it up at the back , and to have another player sent off on top of the injuries we have is very disappointing."

After Parkinson's early opener Micky Cummins' shot was saved by Aaron Howe and a Nathan Fisher effort was deflected for a corner.

Gavin McCallum's left foot strike whistled just wide at the other end while Chris Bush's header was held under the bar by Howe.

Woking were on the back foot but they doubled their lead when the lively Kevin Betsy skipped clear down the right and his low cross was converted by Gavin McCallum.

Again The Heed hit back with Bush's driven free kick inches wide and Jamie Chandler, set up by Cummins, seeing his shot saved by Howe.

Only a superb last ditch tackle from the returning James Curtis prevented further damage before Magnay headed Odubade's corner onto the bar two minutes from the interval.

The Cards, looking for a third consecutive win, almost made it three when Brett Johnson headed McCallum's free kick against the far post.

In an open game Gateshead desperately needed to get back in it, and but for a fine Howe reaction save from Odubade's deflected free kick they would have.

The lifeline the Heed were looking for came on 67 minutes through midfielder Turnbull's first goal of the season.

Odubade's back heel from Fisher's pass saw Turnbull lash the ball past Howe, Turnbull then inches wide from an equaliser.

Bogie introduced teenagers Ryan McGorrigan and Luke Carr, for his debut, but attempts to save the game proved futile.

Former Woking loanee Bush was then sent for an early bath nine minutes from time when he picked up a second yellow card following a foul on Betsy.

It capped a disappointing afternoon at Kingfield as a depleted Gateshead had nothing to show for their efforts.


Woking: Howe, Newton, McNerney, Doyle, Parkinson, Johnson, Ricketts, Betsy, Sawyer (Sinclair 90), McCallum (Mike 90), Bubb (Williams (54)
Subs (not used): Beasant (gk), Pires

Goals: Parkinson (6), McCallum (26)


Gateshead: Bartlett, Wilson, Bush, Chandler, Curtis, Magnay, Donaldson, Turnbull, Fisher, Odubade (Carr 76), Cummins (McGorrigan 65)
Subs (not used): Nixon (gk), Boyle, Roberts

Goal: Turnbull (67)


Referee: Justin Amey (Dorset)

Att: 1,609


Jamie Chandler

Jamie Chandler


Yemi Odubade

Yemi Odubade


Carl Magnay

Carl Magnay and Micky Cummins


Chris Bush

Chris Bush. Photos courtesy of Woking FC.