Gateshead 4-1 Mansfield Town

15/08/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Nathan FisherThe International Stadium must be on the list of Mansfield manager Paul Cox's least favourite grounds.

Hammered 4-0 in a UniBond premier division play-off semi-final while manager of Eastwood Town Cox's Stags were beaten 3-0 at Gateshead last season.

Fast forward 12 months and Cox's promotion tipped side are beaten by a three goal margin on Tyneside again.

For Heed counterpart Ian Bogie four points from the opening two games against title favourites Luton and second favourites Mansfield was just the start he was looking for.

It could easily have been a perfect six and another fancied side, Forest Green Rovers, are next up at the International Stadium on Saturday.

"I am absolutely elated," said Bogie "the performance was top drawer from start to finish and 4-1 was kind to Mansfield.

"We had a lot of good opportunities in the first half to take the game away from Mansfield but the lads stuck to the task and the game plan.

"Man for man the lads were a real credit to themselves and the club and the supporters have witnessed something special tonight."

Ben Clark's ball into the box after a Chris Bush long throw had been half cleared saw Liam Hatch's close ranger header saved.

The Stags goal was then peppered in an incredible two minute spell.

Hatch had a great chance with a close range header but Alan Marriott in the Town goal managed to claw the ball away for a corner.

Josh Gillies' flag kick saw Micky Cummins' bullet header hit Marriot, Carl Magnay's follow up deflected wide.

Another precision corner from Gillies this time saw the Stags defence breached as Hatch headed powerfully home.

Mansfield were level eight minutes later when Andy Owens delivered a high free kick from half way into the box.

Luke Jones managed to get between two defenders to help the ball on with his head, the effort nestling in the bottom corner.

Paddy Boyle's miscued clearance then fell for Matt Green 14 yards out but the striker screwed his shot wide.

Gillies' shot from 25 yards was wide of the far post, the midfielder's next effort blocked by George Pilkington.

Magnay headed wide from Gillies' corner and then good work from Gillies set up Boyle on the left side of the box.

The on loan Dunfermline Athletic player, however, could only steer his shot straight at Marriott.

Gateshead had a touch of fortune on 36 minutes when
James Curtis clattered into Green inside the penalty area.

Referee Darren Handley awarded a penalty only for a linesman's flag for offside to save the day.

Back came Gateshead, Hatch's dink into the box headed on by Nathan Fisher for Cummins to volley just over the bar.

A trio of headers inside the box saw Stags sub Jake Speight head just wide three minutes into the second half.

By the hour Gateshead were back in front, Fisher nicking the ball off Lindon Meikle.

The pacy striker weaved his way towards the box to hit a 22-yard shot that went underneath Marriott.

An audacious 40-yard free kick from Bush, who was everywhere, cleared the bar and then the big man had another shot deflected for a corner.

Jones' header from Pilkington's long free kick was held by Adam Bartlett in a rare threat on the home goal.

The game was then made safe on 71 minutes.

Bush arced a free kick from out wide on the right into the box and it found the far corner as Hatch took Marriott's eye off the ball.

It was another soft goal to concede by the Stags keeper though the delivery from Bush was excellent.

A miserable night for the visitors was complete seven minutes from time when Lee Beevers was sent off for a second yellow.

Gateshead were now in full control and when lively sub James Marwood laid the ball into the path of Fisher a side-foot finish found the far corner.

A great night for The Heed who made light of the loss of key trio Jamie Chandler, Yemi Odubade and James Brown.


Gateshead: Bartlett, Magnay (Wilson 74), Bush, Boyle (Marwood 67), Curtis, Clark, Gillies, Turnbull, Hatch (McGorrigan 84), Fisher, Cummins
Subs (not used): Nixon (gk), McGlen

Goals: Hatch (10), Fisher (56, 83), Bush (71)


Mansfield Town: Marriott, Owens (Rhead 67), Beevers, Jones, Pilkington (Thompson 46), Meikle, Green, Howell, Roberts, Tolley (Speight 17), Daniel
Subs (not used): Wright, Clements

Goal: Jones (18)


Referee: Darren Handley (Bolton)

Attendance: 801


Nathan Fisher

Nathan Fisher


Liam Hatch

Liam Hatch


Josh Gillies

Josh Gillies


Liam Hatch

Liam Hatch


Nathan Fisher

Nathan Fisher


Gateshead celebrate

Photos by Martin Avery, Steven White & Charlie Waugh.