Gateshead 3-0 AFC Telford United

29/04/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Kris GateA triple second half blast saw Gateshead clinch a top eight finish in the Conference Premier for only the third time after a stroll in the sun against lowly AFC Telford.

The Bucks had no fizz whatsoever and once Gateshead broke the deadlock two minutes into the second half there was only going to be one winner.

The lively Hatch then provided the assists for Josh Gillies and Kris Gate to stretch the lead in what turned out to be a comfortable final day win.

Telford, who finished 5th bottom after gaining promotion last season, managed just one shot on target and one corner.

While the first half was tepid, end of season fare the second was much better for those of a Gateshead persuasion.

The Tynesiders had been unlucky not to take a 7th minute lead when Ryan Young tipped Phil Turnbull's rasping shot from the edge of the box onto the post.

Shaw had a couple of chances in the box late in the half while Tim Deasy's only save of the game came in the 43rd minute from Jon Brown's 24-yard low drive.

Ryan Valentine had just headed a Brown cross over the bar as the Bucks belatedly found their offensive teeth, though it was short-lived.

Gateshead upped the ante after the restart and were ahead within two minutes through former Darlington man Hatch who headed into the far corner from Shaw's cross.

It got better six minutes later and Hatch was involved again, barging Sam Rents' cross into the path of Josh Gillies who swept home from 16 yards.

That was game over and Gateshead remained on the front foot against a lack-lustre Telford outfit.

Young made flying saves from Gillies 25-yard drive and Kris Gate's diving header from Shaw's dink into the box.

Gateshead were now well on top, spraying the ball around and looking for more goals.

The third duly arrived after 71 minutes, and it was midfield man Gate who was on hand to score his 8th goal of the season.

Micky Cummins' lob was volleyed back across goal by Hatch for Gate to volley in from close range.

Telford sub Kyle Perry had a half chance 12 minutes from time from Brown's cross but shot over from the left side of the box.

Turnbull then eased past three defenders but, running out of space, his well struck shot from a tight angle was saved by Young at his near post.

Telford forced their one and only corner in the 81st minute but The Heed were soon back on the front foot.

Shaw had a chance to make it four but his looping header from Magnay's cross was straight at Young.

The 35-goal striker was replaced four minutes from the end and was afforded a fitting standing ovation from the appreciative Heed Army.

Gillies' corner then found Magnay at the back post and Young did well to turn the full back's header to safety from on the line.

Gateshead signed off with a sixth consecutive clean sheet at home - a run of five wins and a draw - to cap a merited top eight finish.


Gateshead: Deasy, Magnay, Rents, Gate, Dummett, Clark, Gillies, Turnbull, Shaw (O'Brien 86), Hatch, Cummins (Marwood 76)
Subs (not used): Farman (gk), Brittain, Baxter


AFC Telford: Young, Salmon, Rodgers (Rooney 77), Trainer, Preston, Blackburn, Brooke (Perry 66), Brown, Valentine, Sharp, Proudlock (Jones 66)
Subs (not used): Robinson (gk), Killock


Referee: Amy Fearn (Leicester)

Att: 606


Gateshead Celebrate


Josh Gillies

Josh Gillies


Kris Gate

Kris Gate


Liam Hatch and Josh Gillies

Liam Hatch and Josh Gillies


Liam Hatch

Liam Hatch. Photos by Martin Avery, Charlie Waugh & Steven White.