Gateshead 0-0 Luton Town

25/04/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Paul DummettGateshead's play-off challenge may have ended at relegated Bath City on Saturday but they had a big say in Luton Town's promotion bid at the International Stadium.

The injury hit Tynesiders did everything but score in an entertaining goalless draw that has left former First division club Luton needing a point at Champions Fleetwood this weekend to guarantee a top five place.

Gateshead gave as good as they got in a first half they edged and came closest to scoring after the Hatters, without a win in their last seven away games, had started on the front foot.

Josh Gillies, who went on to be a pivotal figure, shot well wide for The Heed before Keith Keane volleyed wide of the post at the other end.

Stuart Fleetwood shot over from close in before the recalled Phil Turnbull fashioned an opening for the lightning quick Alan O'Brien on 16 minutes after winning the ball on the edge of the home box

Former Magpie O'Brien raced clear from half way but with little of the goal to shoot at fired past the far post.

The Heed almost engineered their own downfall five minutes later with an ill advised short goal kick that was nearly punished by Stuart Fleetwood.

With on loan Newcastle left-back Paul Dummett impressive at the back and Gillies a threat playing in the hole Gateshead matched the promotion chasing Hatters.

Fleetwood sidestepped Ben Clark to curl towards goal only for Eddie Odhiambo's lunge to send the ball over the bar.

Good work from Gillies saw the 21-year-old find Kris Gate free on the left side of the box but the midfielder shot tamely at Mark Tyler.

Late pressure in the first half brought four efforts at goal with Micky Cummins' and defender Carl Magnay shots blocked and Turnbull firing over from 25 yards.

The deadlock was almost broken in stoppage time but Jake Howells headed Cummins' header from Gillies corner off the line.

Luton were having trouble picking up Gillies, who had two shots after the break from outside the box, the first straight at Tyler, the second scuffed wide.

Gateshead fielded only one of their four strikers, the combative Liam Hatch, but they still carried a threat going forward, though unable to find the net.

Dummett had a chance to break the deadlock in the 75th minute from Gillies' corner but headed straight at the 'keeper, Odhiambo then blocking Fleetwood's goalbound shot with Deasy stranded.

Gateshead had penalty claims six minutes from time turned down when Curtis Osano appeared to push Hatch in the back as the big striker prepared to meet a cross from sub James Marwood.

Gillies then set up a good chance for Marwood when he pulled the ball back from the by-line.

Marwood mishit his shot which Greg Taylor then inadvertently sliced towards his own goal, Tyler forced to make a superb reaction save to prevent an own goal.

The late pressure was all on the Luton goal with Magnay and Gillies both having shots blocked inside the area.

Gateshead deserved all three points and they almost got them in the last minute when Cummins' headed goalwards from Gillies' right side corner.

Marwood, with his back to goal, hooked the ball onto the post from close range with Tyler beaten as the Hatters lived dangerously.

The performance lifted spirits after the heavy defeat at Bath and Gateshead will confirm a creditable top eight finish if AFC Telford are beaten on the final day at the International Stadium on Saturday.


Gateshead: Deasy, Odhiambo, Dummett, Gate, Clark, Magnay, Turnbull, Cummins, Gillies, Hatch, O'Brien (Marwood 82)
Subs (not used):
Farman (gk), Brittain, Baxter, Moore


Luton Town: Tyler, Keane, Pilkington, Lawless, Willmott (Taylor 56), Fleetwood, Howells, Osano, Gray, Watkins (Poku 53m) (McAllister 71m), Kovacs
Subs (not used): Blackett, Walker


Referee: Jez Simpson (Lancaster)

Attendance: 703


Josh Gillies

Josh Gillies


Liam Hatch

Liam Hatch


Micky Cummins

Micky Cummins


Paul Dummett

Paul Dummett


Phil Turnbull

Phil Turnbull. Photos by Steven Hadlow & Steven White