Tamworth 1-1 Gateshead

25/03/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Jon ShawGateshead drew 1-1 with Tamworth for the second time this season in a game that failed to scale the heights on a hot spring day in the Midlands.

Jon Shaw continues to find the net and the striker's 27th minute header was his 34th goal of the season and his 4th from the last six games.

Strike partner Liam Hatch, however, picked up his 14th booking of the season and one more will see him suspended for three games.

Tamworth have found wins hard to come by since they knocked Gateshead out of the FA Cup in December, now just three in 22 games.

They have, however, had no trouble in holding play-off chasing sides to draws, The Heed following in the footsteps of Grimsby Town, Kidderminster and York city in March.

The previous three were all goalless draws and The Lambs equaliser from the penalty spot on the stroke of half-time was their first goal in six matches.

Gateshead meanwhile have tightened up defensively but had to settle for a share of the spoils at Tamworth who included former Tynesider Kyle Nix.

It was predictably a game of few goalscoring opportunities, Tamworth registering just one effort on target.

Striker Jean-Paul Marna had the ball in the Heed net midway through the first half but the effort was ruled out for offside.

Shaw then struck just before the half hour, Craig Baxter and Brittain combining on the right for the latter to deliver a cross that was clinically dispatched by Shaw with his head.

Kris Gate then had a shot deflected for a corner before as Bogie's men began to boss the game, but they were unable to hold onto their lead until the break.

James Curtis was judged to have fouled Scott Barrow and the Heed were caught out when the free kick was taken quickly.

Marna was then brought down by Paul Farman, the striker sending the keeper the wrong way from the resultant spot kick.

Tamworth edged the second half but The Heed held firm, Barrow's powerful shot striking the outside of the post for the shot-shy Lambs.

Shaw had a half chance in the closing stages of a scrappy second period but shot straight at Jonathon Hedge to ensure the game ended with honours even.


Tamworth: Hedge, Tait, Habergham, Francis, Green, Thomas, Nix, Barrow (Grayson 84), Baldock (McDonald 79), Marna, C.Collins (Patterson 71)
Subs (not used): Gudger, Taylor

Goal: Marna-pen (44)

Bookings: Barrow (69), Green (82)


Gateshead: Farman, Baxter, Carruthers, Gate, Curtis, Clark, Brittain (Moore 78), Chandler, Shaw, Hatch (Gillies 89), Cummins (Marwood 67)
Subs (not used): Deasy (gk), Dummett

Goal: Shaw (27)

Bookings: Carruthers (83), Hatch (69)


Referee: Charles Breakspear (Surrey)

Att: 968


Jon Shaw

Jon Shaw


Ben Clark

Ben Clark


Craig Baxter and Martin Brittain

Craig Baxter and Martin Brittain


Jon Shaw

Jon Shaw. Photos by Dave Brown/Tamworth FC.