Gateshead 1-0 Bath City

21/03/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Jon ShawGateshead recorded a second 1-0 win in four days to keep the play-off flame burning and increase the pressure on bottom markers Bath City.

Jon Shaw's 33rd goal of the season separated the two sides in a game which Gateshead dominated but had to be patient.

The Romans got men behind the ball to good effect but rarely threatened the home goal, Paul Farman making only one save during the 90 minutes.

The Heed applied all the early pressure Martin Brittain's 4th minute corner picking out Micky Cummins whose shot into the ground fell for Liam Hatch.

The striker also shot into the ground from close range, the ball bouncing just over the bar.

Full back Craig Baxter then cut inside two defenders to force Glynn Garner into a diving save.

James Curtis and Cummins both headed straight at Garner from just inside the box, from Brittain and Chris Carruthers crosses, as The Heed probed with purpose.

Bath's only clear opening of the game came in the 21st minute following a poor Paul Farman clearance.

The lively Lewis Hogg advanced to set up Sean Canham but The Romans top scorer's side-footed finish was weak.

Hatch had another chance from a similar position to the last, Baxter this time with the assist, Hatch again volleying into the ground and Garner tipping the ball over the bar.

The hard working Hatch then saw his header from Brittain's corner hit Garner and deflect past the post.

City defender Mark Reece then cleared over his own bar but, met by a red wall of defiance, Gateshead were less of a threat as the half wore on.

Phil Turnbull, again in a more advanced role, had a shot saved by Garner but The Heed were now forced to play in front of a dogged Bath.

Too many balls into the penalty area failed to pick out a white shirt though Jamie Chandler fired just wide on the hour from the right side of the box.

With the crowd becoming impatient extra pace was injected with the introduction of James Marwood and within four minutes Gateshead were ahead.

Hatch challenged for a Baxter long throw and when the ball bounced up Shaw pounced to direct a looping header into the far top corner.

Cummins almost made it two with a stinging shot from Shaw's headed knockdown but Garner managed to block on the line.

The Tynesiders were unable to build on their lead, Bath finally applying late pressure as Gethin Jones headed onto the roof of the net.

Four wins from the last six league games has put Gateshead back in play-off contention, the next home game a promotion six-pointer against Luton Town.


Gateshead: Farman, Baxter, Carruthers, Chandler, Curtis, Clark, Brittain (Marwood, 63), Turnbull (Gate, 67), Shaw, Hatch, Cummins (Gillies, 79)
Subs (not used): Deasy (gk), Odhiambo

Goal: Shaw (67)


Bath City: Garner, Stonehouse, Jones, Connelly, Cook (Smith, 69), Hogg, Preece, M Canham (Egan, 80), Burnell, Gallinagh, S Canham
Subs (not used): Rollo, Murray


Referee: Tony Harrington (Hartlepool)

Att: 512


Liam Hatch

Liam Hatch


James Marwood

James Marwood


Micky Cummins

Micky Cummins


Jon Shaw

Jon Shaw heads the winner


Gateshead celebrate Shaw's goal

Gateshead celebrate Shaw's goal. Photos by Steven White