Gateshead Reserves 2-1 Hull City Reserves

13/03/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Martin BrittainGateshead Reserves followed up their draw with Central League East division leaders Middlesbrough with victory over another Championship club, Hull City.

Super strikes from Chris Moore and Martin Brittain, one in each half, saw The Heed second string avenge earlier defeats at the hands of the Tigers this season.

It was an impressive performance from Paul Bryson's men who played with a good tempo and went close on numerous occasions.

Both goalkeepers had to be in top form as the shots rained in, both sides hitting the woodwork in the second half.

Gateshead, however created the greater number of openings with a host of players turning in impressive performances in front of watching manager Ian Bogie.

Deasy was excellent in goal, only beaten by a deflected Stuart Parnaby, son of former Gateshead captain and manager Dave Parnaby, shot seven minutes from time.

Non professionals Josh Allan and Luke Gilbert were assured at the centre of defence and wide men Chris Moore and Brittain both showed a welcome return to form.

Josh Gillies will wonder how he did not get on the scoresheet and up front another Gateshead College product, Jordan Marshall, put in a great shift.

Phil Turnbull, on his reserves debut, sprayed the ball around the park, often from one side to the other, with aplomb and their wasn't a weak link in the side.

A poor square ball from Tigers trialist Will Aimson gave Marshall a great chance early on but the youngster blazed over the bar.

Moore then left Parnaby for dead to find Gillies whose shot from inside the box was parried by Mark Oxley who then made a fine one handed save from Brittain's follow up.

Jay Simpson created a yard for himself at the other end to fire inches wide before Moore smashed a superb shot from the left of the box into the far corner.

Simpson then rounded Deasy but was forced wide and he couldn't direct his shot from an oblique angle into the net.

Turnbull's dink sent Marshall racing clear and while he held off Dele Adebola the makeshift centre back blocked the striker's goalbound shot.

Gillies' rasping 25 yard drive was tipped over by Oxley while Deasy did well to make a diving save from Kealan Dillon, the shot bouncing just in front of him.

The entertainment continued after the break as Gateshead maintained their flowing football.

They were, however, almost caught cold in the opening minute when Francis McCaffrey burst through four defenders only to lift his shot over the bar.

Danny Emerton's stinging volley then saw Deasy brilliantly turn the ball onto the bar as Hull opened the second half with all guns blazing.

A Parnaby foul on Chris Carruthers, again playing in a central midfield role, saw The Heed extend their lead in the 54th minute.

Brittain curled the free kick over the wall and into the top corner with a trademark set play.

Tigers sub Jack Barlow could have pulled a goal back with his first touch but Deasy came out on top in the one-to-one dual.

Emerton volleyed just past the angle as City attempted to get back into the game while Gillies shot wastefully over the bar from Carruthers' back heel inside the box.

Moore twice tested Oxley and then Deasy held on to Dillon's powerful drive as play swung from end to end.

Eddie Odhiambo picked out Brittain on the right of the box and the winger's stunning first time shot from a tight angle crashed against the far post.

Hull reduced the arrears late on when Parnaby's shot from inside the box deflected past Deasy off Sam Rents.

The unmarked Wilson should then have claimed a last minute equaliser from Emerton's corner but headed straight at Deasy.

Had that gone in it would have been harsh on an impressive Gateshead who played well and fully deserved the victory.


Gateshead Res: Deasy, Odhiambo, Rents, Gillies, Allan (Evans 83), Gilbert, Brittain, Turnbull, Carruthers, Marshall (Brown 83), Moore
Subs (not used): Jameson (gk), Lynch


Hull City Res: Oxley, Parnaby, East, Holohan (Wilson 81), Aimson, Adebola (Gill 75), McCaffrey (Barlow 59), Olofinjana, Dillon, Simpson, Emerton
Subs (not used): Peet (gk), Gabbiadini


Referee: Anthony Backhouse (Brampton)


Chris Moore