Luton Town 2-0 Gateshead

26/02/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Craig BaxterGateshead exited this season's FA Trophy with a below par display at Kenilworth Road and can now concentrate on reaching the Conference Premier play-offs.

A trip to Trophy favourites, and former top flight club, Luton Town, was always going to be a tough ask but the Heed failed to rise to the occasion.

After a great league win at York City in midweek it was a flat performance from Ian Bogie's side who fell behind early on.

A killer second goal on the hour put the game beyond the Tynesiders who failed to score for only the second time this season.

Gateshead never really got out of the blocks and fell behind after just eight minutes when John Paul Kissock scored his first goal for Luton.

The former Everton trainee volleyed home unchallenged at the near post after Alex Lawless had been allowed to skip clear down the right.

The Hatters, without a number of players due to injury and ineligibility, had got off to a flier and they never released their grip on the game.

The Heed's biggest threat came down the right through Yemi Odubade and over-lapping full back Craig Baxter in the first half.

Jon Shaw's lay-off from Odubade's cross gave Cummins a goalscoring opportunity but his deflected effort was easy meat for Mark Tyler.

A livelier Luton then almost doubled their lead when Danny Crow side-footed against the post when he had been second favourite to get to Robbie Willmott's cross.

Gateshead's only clear cut chance of the game came in the 20th minute courtesy of a Baxter cross from the right.

Cummins, who scored both of the Heed's goal at York in midweek, however, saw his shot blocked by Tyler's legs.

A poor James Curtis clearance saw Rents block a Willmott shot and then Tim Deasy saved from Crow with Willmott somehow putting the rebound wide.

Curtis had to leave the field with a head injury and Greg Taylor had a shot from the edge of the box tipped past the post by Deasy on the stroke of half-time.

Luton had shown little after the break until they put the tie to bed on 59 minutes.

Gateshead substitute Jamie Chandler, only introduced a minute earlier for Kris Gate, was penalised for a challenge on Crow.

Keane curled the ball goalwards from out wide and it deceived everyone to end up in the back of the net.

The lively Kissock wriggled his way into the penalty area only to shoot wide as Gateshead struggled to make an impact.

Sub James Marwood's header from Odubade's cross struck George Pilkington and Alan O'Brien curled over in the last minute but by then the Hatters were home and hosed.


Luton Town: Tyler, Taylor, Blackett, Pilkington, Asafu-Adjaye, Keane, Lawless, Kissock (Henry 79), Willmott (O'Connor 83), Howells, Crow (Fleetwood 82).
Subs (not used): Watkins, Kidd (gk)

Goals: Kissock (8), Keane (59)


Gateshead: Deasy, Rent, Gate (Chandler 58), Curtis, Clark, Turnbull, Shaw, Odubade, Cummins (Marwood 67), Baxter, O'Brien
Subs (not used): Farman (gk), Gillies, Magnay

Booking: Turnbull (15)


Attendance: 2,499

Referee: T. Robinson


Phil Turnbull takes on goal scorer John Paul Kissock

Phil Turnbull takes on goal scorer John Paul Kissock


Jamie Chandler back in action after suspension

Jamie Chandler back in action after suspension


Sam Rents takes on goal scorer Keith Keane

Sam Rents takes on goal scorer Keith Keane


James Curtis

James Curtis challenges for a high ball. Photos by Gareth Owen/Luton Town FC.