York City 1-2 Gateshead

23/02/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Micky CumminsThose who had written off Gateshead's play-off hopes after a run of just one point from four games were left to think again after Ian Bogie's men earned a brilliant 2-1 win at 4th top York City.

Gateshead last won at Bootham Crescent 60 years ago, a 2-1 win during the club's famous FA Cup quarter-final campaign in 1952/53.

The two Conference visits to York had brought narrow one goal defeats but the boot was on the other foot as The Heed edged home by the odd goal in three.

It was York's first defeat in ten games as Gateshead became the first side to do the double over the Minstermen this season.

A 9th Conference away win left Bogie's men just one point from the play-offs ahead of Saturday's trip to Luton Town in the quarter-final of the FA Trophy.

Bogie had labelled the clash at York as a must win game and his side got off to a flyer with a goal inside the opening two minutes.

Yemi Odubade won a corner on the right, whipped the ball in himself for Micky Cummins to slam a right foot shot from 15 yards into the top corner.

A great ball from Phil Turnbull then released speed machine Alan O'Brien down left.

The Irishman volleyed in a cross that saw Jon Shaw's shot deflect off Chris Smith for a corner.

Matty Blair had a great chance to level for City from Patrick McLoughlin's cross but was unable to turn the ball home at the back post.

Jon Challinor cut in from the right past three defenders but his shot was straight at Tim Deasy and then Justin Walker shot over from 15 yards.

York were building up a head of steam as Gateshead defended deep and allowed the home side time on the ball.

Turnbull, however, warmed Michael Ingham's hands with a stinging drive that was turned over the bar.

The Heed goal came under a lot of pressure in the closing stages of the half and Ashley Chambers had a great chance to level.

Chris Doig threaded through a pass that left the winger one-on-one with Deasy who spread himself to make a fine block.

Blair's cross was then scrambled clear from near the line in a packed box and Deasy had to fist clear another dangerous cross.

Gateshead needed to exploit their pace out wide and they certainly did that after the break as the York defence was asked some serious questions.

Deasy was initially in action tipping over Smith's 25 yard drive but the Tynesiders then got firmly on the front foot.

Craig Baxter's long throw saw James Curtis head straight at Ingham and then Sam Rents was unable to pull the trigger after Shaw's short pass had sent the left back into the box.

Shaw then had a golden opportunity following good work from Kris Gate but shot inches wide of the post with his left foot.

A minute later the Heed doubled their lead. Odubade, a real handful in the second half, fizzed in a great cross from the right that took out Ingham.

Cummins steamed in unchallenged at the back post to send a bullet header into the roof of the net, the midfielder's 9th goal of the season, all from open play.

York were wobbling and the home crowd restless, Ingham forced to save at his near post when Ben Clark got on the end of another Odubade corner.

Minstermen boss Gary Mills made a triple substitution just past the hour, and one of the trio, Jamie Reed, reduced the deficit within three minutes.

Reed headed home from McLaughlin's right side corner and it was game on.

Cummins. however, almost restored the Heed's two goal advantage when he was just wide after Odubade had pinched the ball in the box to set up the Irishman.

A Clark foul on Matthew Blinkhorn saw York go close to levelling when Reed's driven 30 yard free kick towards the top corner was tipped over by Deasy.

Gateshead showed great resilience and desire to see the game out to record a victory that keeps the season very much alive.


York City: Ingham , Smith, Doig, Gibson, Kerr, Blair, Brown (Swallow 63), Challinor, McLaughlin, Walker (Blinkhorn 63), Chambers (Reed 64)
Subs (not used):
Meredith, Parslow

Goal: Reed (65)

Bookings: Smith, Challinor


Gateshead: Deasy, Baxter, Rents, Gate, Curtis, Clark, O'Brien (Marwood 87), Turnbull, Shaw, Odubade (Moore 88), Cummins
Subs (not used): Farman (gk), Magnay, Gillies

Goals: Cummins (2 & 57)

Bookings: None


Referee: Darren Bond (Wigan)

Att: 2,683


Micky Cummins fires Gateshead into the lead at York

Micky Cummins fires Gateshead into the lead at York


Sam Rents takes on the York defence

Sam Rents takes on the York defence


Jon Shaw is through on the York goal

Jon Shaw is through on the York goal. Photos by Lewis Outing.