Gateshead Reserves 3-1 Shildon

30/01/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Rob BriggsTwo headed goals from midfield man Rob Briggs and a goal from defender Luke Gilbert saw holders Gateshead reserves reach the semi-final of the Durham Challenge Cup.

The Heed remain on course to retain the County Cup won last Easter after a 2-0 win over Dunston UTS.

Dominic Brown flashed a shot wide of the far post after just 35 seconds and then Chris Moore's surging run was ended by a Ben Christensen trip.

Martin Brittain's free kick was turned past the post by keith Finch who a short spell at Gateshead several years ago.

Youngster Brown was ploughing a lone furrow up top but there were plenty of players joining in from midfield and out wide.

Kris Gate should have opened the scoring on 20 minutes when left in space coming in at the back post.

Chris Moore's precision cross deserved better then the unmarked Gate volleying high and wide as he fell to the ground.

Micky Cummins then found Brittain on the left of the box but the winger's shot was straight at Finch.

The Heed were controlling the play and spraying the ball about but were light up front despite the best efforts of the isolated Brown.

Marc Wilson was booked for a late challenge on Moore on the half hour and it led to the opening goal.

Brittain swung the ball to the back post where Briggs rose to power a header past Finch.

A Lee Chapman trip on the lively Briggs brought the second goal in the 35th minute.

Brittain's powerful free kick bounced awkwardly in front of Finch, Christensen on hand to head away the loose ball.

Brittain's flag kick to the near post saw Luke Gilbert glance the ball into the far corner.

Gate was then narrowly wide from just outside the box
as the one way traffic towards the Shildon goal continued.

Shildon's first effort on goal saw Nick Kane shoot harmlessly wide from distance five minutes from half-time.

Gateshead had been excellent in the first half Shildon started the second with some intent, Steve Johnson having a shot blocked by new signing Carl Magnay.

Brown should have made it three after the restart but headed into the side netting from Eddie Odhiambo's cross.

Magnay then headed wide from a right side corner and Brown had a shot saved from Odhiambo's cross.

Brittain had time and space but blazed over from 16 yards, Gateshead's football not as flowing as in the first half.

Shildon were unexpectedly back in it midway through the half despite sub Wayne Gredziak receiving the ball on the right in an offside position.

The striker rolled the ball into the path of the unmarked Danny Richmond who knocked the ball past on loan debutant keeper Ben Wilson.

Gate fired wide from 25 yards and then had a shot blocked as Gateshead attempted to make the game safe.

Briggs played in Odhiambo who cleverly sidestepped his man inside the box only for Finch to block the full back's shot.

Young sub Lewis Lynch shot wide from the edge of the box and Gate blazed over the bar late on.

Victory was eventually confirmed two minutes from time when Man of the Match Briggs headed his second of the night from Moore's corner.


Gateshead Res: Wilson, Odhiambo, Carruthers (Marshall 65), Gate, Magnay, Gilbert, Brittain (Evans 79), Cummins (Lynch), Brown, Briggs, Moore
Subs (not used): Sharpe (gk), Carr


Shildon: Finch, Gordon, Watson, Wilson, Hunter, Christensen, Home-Jackson, Richmond, Johnson, Chapman, Kane
Subs: Price, Gredziak, Molyneux, Niven


Att: 175


Dominic Brown

Dominic Brown


Eddie Odhiambo

Eddie Odhiambo


Luke Gilbert

Luke Gilbert


Rob Briggs

Rob Briggs. Photos by Michael Riddle.