Gateshead 2-3 Newport County

29/01/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Liam HatchGateshead boss Ian Bogie is running out of patience with his misfiring play-off chasers after another late horror show on Tyneside.

It was deja-vu for the Heed Army who saw their side fritter a two goal lead in the last ten minutes to draw against Lincoln City last weekend.

There was more late heartache again against another struggling side, Newport County, who this time pinched all three points at the death.

Gateshead were two up early in the second half but County soon replied through Elliott Buchanan.

The Welshmen then levelled in the 90th minute after Tim Deasy had saved Sam Foley's initial penalty.

If that wasn't bad enough County went on to grab a sensational winner through super sub Jake Harris who had scored twice in the last five minutes at Worksop in midweek.

Not for the first time the Heed fell apart and Bogie's men have now conceded late goals in seven of the last eight games at the International Stadium.

Not only that, but having been top of the Fairplay League at the halfway stage of the season, Gateshead have had five players sent off in the last two months, three in the last four games.

Last week James Marwood saw red and this time it was new boy Jamie Chandler who was dismissed in between County's second and third goals.

While the first half produced limited goalmouth action on a sticky pitch the second period opened up with both sides carrying a goal threat.

Newport's on loan midfield man Lee Minshull smashed a 25 yard drive against the underside of the bar early in the game.

That was the visitors only real effort on goal in the opening 45 minutes while Gateshead only occasionally threatened.

Jon Shaw released Yemi Odubade on the quarter hour but Exiles keeper Glyn Thompson half blocked his shot and the ball was cleared before it reached the line.

A Sam Rents throw in saw Odubade put a 25 yard shot on the turn just wide and then Craig Baxter found Odubade inside the box.

The striker pulled the ball into the path of Jamie Chandler whose goalbound shot was blocked.

Newport had been well organised and fairly comfortable but they paid the price for woeful marking at a Heed set play in injury time.

Martin Brittain's corner saw the unmarked Shaw's header cleared off the line but Hatch was on hand to head across goal and into the far corner.

Odubade blazed over after the break but then provided the assist for Shaw to drill a superb 20 yard shot into the bottom corner.

Surely Gateshead couldn't surrender another two goal second half lead against lowly opposition for the second consecutive weekend.

Unfortunately the two goal cushion lasted only four minutes as Elliott Buchanan confidently swept home David Pipe's cross.

Newport were back in it but didn't really threaten a second until the game entered the later stages.

Deasy's throw sent Chandler sprinting down the right and his inside ball saw Micky Cummins and Shaw shots blocked.

The game was now heading into the final ten minutes - the Heed's nemesis so often this season.

Odubade's driven free kick from the left of the box was deflected for a corner that was headed wide at the near post by Cummins.

Odubade's volley from 45 yards was off target after Thompson's rushed clearance under pressure from Shaw had fallen at the former Oxford man's feet.

Hatch's header then saw Chandler cleverly flick the ball over his marker inside the box only for Thompson to make a diving save.

Gateshead were the likelier side to score but that all changed when Phil Turnbull headed clear Andy Sandell's long throw.

Foley latched on to the loose ball and as he moved into the box fell under the challenge of Cummins.

Deasy saved Foley's spot kick but the ball conveniently rebounded to the striker who made no mistake with his second chance.

The late game jitters were back and County incredibly grabbed the winner four minutes into stoppage time.

Harris stepped inside Baxter to hit a fine strike across Deasy into the far corner to stun Gateshead.


Gateshead: Deasy, Baxter, Rents (Odhiambo 80), Chandler, Curtis, Clark, Brittain (Cummins 61), Turnbull, Shaw, Odubade, Hatch
Subs (not used): Farman (gk), Moore, Airey

Goals: Hatch (45+2), Shaw (53)

Bookings: Hatch (61), Curtis (90)

Sent Off: Chandler (90+2)


Newport County: Thompson, Baker (Harris 72), Warren, Foley, Jarvis (Chapman 55), Hughes, Pipe (Knights 83), Rodgers, Buchanan, Sandell, Minshull
Subs (not used): Hatswell, Swann

Goals: Buchanan (57), Foley (90), Harris (90+4)

Booking: Warren (68)


Referee: Peter Bankes (Bootle)

Attendance: 704


Jon Shaw

Jon Shaw


Yemi Odubade

Yemi Odubade


Liam Hatch

Liam Hatch


Micky Cummins

Micky Cummins


Gateshead v Newport County

Photos by Martin Avery, Steven White & Charlie Waugh.