Kettering Town 2-1 Gateshead

25/01/2012, by Jeff Bowron

Jon ShawGateshead crashed to a shock defeat in Northamptonshire as crisis club Kettering Town won their first Conference game since October.

The lowly Poppies scored twice in the second half and Jon Shaw's late header proved to be too little too late for a misfiring Gateshead.

The Tynesiders struggled to hit their straps in the opening 45 minutes but could have been ahead early on.

Yemi Odubade's excellent volley from just outside the box came back off the post with Laurie Walker beaten.

Kettering, under a transfer embargo and facing a winding up order, battled gamely having been able to name only two substitutes.

Odubade was wide with another effort from a similar range before the Poppies had a great chance to take a 14th minute lead.

Midfield man David Bridges raced on to a ball over the top to be left one-on-one with Tim Deasy, but it was the Gateshead keeper who came out on top.

Gateshead had plenty of the ball but were unable to create openings until late in the half when James Curtis had a header deflected just wide.

Curtis then got his head to the resultant corner but the ball wouldn't come down for Odubade who shot over the bar.

Shaw went close early in the second half while a spirited Kettering went close on three occasions, two of them from half-time substitute Ollie Jones.

It was a lively opening to the second period but the warning wasn't heeded and the beleaguered Poppies were ahead just before the hour.

Great work from Djoumin Sangare saw the defender cross to the back post where on loan Peterborough United midfielder Danny Mills volleyed home.

Tynesiders boss Ian Bogie immediately brought on Liam Hatch, for his debut, and wide man Martin Brittain in an attempt to get back into the game.

Shaw headed Brittain's 67th minute corner wide and Hatch headed over when well placed as the Heed hit back.

A Craig Baxter cross then evaded Walker to drop into the net only for the effort to be ruled out for a push on the keeper by Hatch.

The Heed piled on the pressure with Brittain just wide before Aman Verma's superb 30-yard curler four minutes from time put a makeshift Kettering in dreamland.

Shaw headed home Brittain's 89th minute cross to belatedly give Gateshead hope of avoiding a shock defeat.

Substitute Chris Moore then almost levelled in stoppage time but a battling Kettering held on for their first win in 14 games.

"It was a bitterly disappointing performance but you have to give credit to Kettering who showed great heart and spirit," said Gateshead boss Ian Bogie.

"We maybe did enough to earn a point but that would have been harsh on Kettering, and it was too little, too late from us.

"It was the type of display we haven't become accustomed to on our travels so we have to put it down as a one-off.

"Our final pass or cross let us down. We had plenty of possession but that means nothing if you don't make it count.

"It was our first defeat in 2012, and only our second in 11 games, and we now have to regroup for the visit of Newport County on Saturday."


Kettering Town: Walker, Davis, Sangare, Ifil, Ralth (Jones (46), Noubissie, Aman, Kelly, Meechan, Bridges, Mills
Sub (not used): Pryor

Goals: Mills (57), Verma (85)


Gateshead: Deasy, Baxter (Moore 90), Rents, Chandler, Curtis, Clark, Airey (Brittain 59), Turnbull, Shaw, Odubade, Cummins (Hatch 59)
Subs (not used): Farman (gk), Odhiambo

Goal: Shaw (89)

Booking: Hatch (90+2)


Referee: Tom Robinson (South Yorkshire)

Att: 804


Craig Baxter

Craig Baxter


Liam Hatch

Liam Hatch


Micky Cummins

Micky Cummins. Kettering Photos by Mike Capps