Scunthorpe United Reserves 1-2 Gateshead Reserves

08/12/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Martin BrittainDespite fielding their most inexperienced side of the season fielding just six professionals Gateshead reserves recorded an impressive 2-1 at Scunthorpe United.

A superb second half display at Glanford Park saw The Heed come from behind through a Martin Brittain penalty an a Jordan Marshall strike.

The Iron, who included Gateshead-born former Norwich City and Hartlepool defender Micky Nelson, had taken the lead on the stroke of half-time.

On loan Newcastle United goalkeeper Jak Alnwick was between the posts for The Heed while Chris Carruthers played in the centre of midfield after serving his one match ban.

Former Magpies Craig Baxter and Martin Brittain matched up on the right with Ewan Moyes at centre half and Gary Mulligan spearheading the attack.

Newcastle-born central defender or midfield player, Kris Thackray, back on trial at the club after trial periods at Huddersfield Town and Wrexham played alongside Carruthers.

The Iron contained seven full time professionals as the coaching staff looked to give game time to some of those on the fringes of the first team and those working their way back to fitness.

Mulligan had a chance following a poor clearance from United keeper Sam Slocombe but his first time shot cleared the bar,

Jordan Thewlis then hit the post at the other end on a blustery night in Lincolnshire.

Marshall was desperately unlucky to see his shot hit the underside of the bar, a flowing move five minutes from the interval then seeing Jordan Robertson fire over from 25 yards.

Scunthorpe took the lead when Thewlis won the ball in midfield and exchanged passes with Jimmy Ryan.

Ryan then whipped in a ball from the right which Robertson got to just before Alnwick to turn the ball into the net.

Rather than galvanise The Iron it was Gateshead who came out all guns blazing after the break to boss the second 45 minutes.

Parity was restored after just ten minutes when Scott Matthews handled a high ball into the box and Brittain sent Slocombe the wrong way from the spot.

Marshall was then just unable to get on the end of Mulligan's cross as a lively Gateshead pressed for the winner.

The winner duly came midway through the second half as Craig Baxter got behind Ashley Jackson on the right and his cross was dispatched by Marshall.

It proved to be the decisive act in the game and manager Ian Bogie was delighted with his charges.

"Just like the first team the night before at Stockport County this was a good performance and an excellent result," said Bogie.

"We were unlucky to be behind at half-time but we took over in the second half, created the better chances and the scored the goals we were looking for."


Scunthorpe Utd Res: Slocombe, Lacey, Jackson, Palmer, Nelson, Snow, Ryan (Matthews, 45), Greenhoff, Robertson, Thewlis (Thomas, 60), Wint.
Subs (not used): Crook, Fells, Trice.


Gateshead Res: Alnwick, Baxter, Short (Allan), Moyes, Gilbert, Brittain, Thackray, Carruthers, Marshall (Lynch), Mulligan, Evans (Brown)
Sub (not used): Lay