Stockport County 0-1 Gateshead

07/12/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Jon ShawGateshead bounced back from Saturday's disappointing FA Cup defeat against Tamworth by increasing the misery on former Championship club Stockport County.

The Tynesiders drew 0-0 on their last visit to Edgeley Park half a century ago in the 4th Division and they kept another clean sheet on their return - but this time went one better.

Conference Premier top gun Jon Shaw struck the only goal of the game on the hour to keep Gateshead firmly in the play-off hunt.

The Tynesiders handed Tim Deasy his first start of the season and the goalkeeper, whose career began at Stockport, had little to do until late in the first half.

After early Jon Shaw and Josh Gillies shots had been repelled it took County until the half hour mark to register their first attempt at goal.

Prior to that midfield man Sean McConville turned his man to advance into the box where he was prevented from getting a shot away by Ben Clark's timely challenge.

The Hatters stepped up the pressure with McConville's in swinging corner headed wide by Andy Halls.

A foul by Euan Holden on Shaw saw Gillies' shot deflected into the arms of former Carlisle United keeper Matt Glennon at the other end.

Deasy made a rare save when he tipped over from Tom Elliott but generally the Heed defence kept the back door locked to record a clean sheet.

Stockport pressure brought four corners in quick succession in the final quarter of an hour of the half but the Heed defence held firm and Nathan Fisher should have given the Tynesiders an interval lead.

Good work out wide on the right from Chris Moore left Fisher with a simple close range header that the striker contrived to put wide.

Stockport's lowest crowd of the season, 2,366, had seen an improved defensive display from their side after the seven goal drubbing at Grimsby until Gateshead broke the deadlock on the hour.

The Blue Square Bet Premier's leading marksman, Shaw, glanced a neat header past Glennon to score his 21st goal of the season.

Fisher had provided the pinpoint cross from the right, Shaw's finish sublime to give the Tynesiders a deserved lead.

The misfiring Hatters mustered only two attempts at goal all game and could have fallen further behind late in the proceedings as Gateshead ran the show in the second half..

Glennon saved from left back Sam Rents while only a late clearance from substitute Ben Chu-Say prevented Gillies from making it two.

Chris Moore also had two opportunities inside the box but in the final reckoning it was Shaw's goal that saw Gateshead return to winning ways.

Gateshead had been full value for an 8th away of the season. the victory putting them level on points with 5th placed Cambridge United.


Stockport County: Glennon, Lynch (German 70), Holden, O'Donnell, Halls, Blackburn (Fraughan 87), Routledge, McConville (Chu-Say 74), Rowe, Cole, Elliott
Subs (not used): Halstead (GK), Sheridan

Booking: Elliott (30)


Gateshead: Deasy, Odhiambo, Rents, Gate, Curtis, Clark, Moore, Turnbull, Shaw, Fisher, Gillies (Brittain 84)
Subs (not used): Moyes, Alnwick (gk), Baxter, Mulligan

Goals: Shaw (59)

Bookings: None


Referee: Wayne Barratt (Worcestershire)

Att: 2,366


Eddie Odhiambo

Eddie Odhiambo


Phil Turnbull and James Curtis

Phil Turnbull and James Curtis


Phil Turnbull

Phil Turnbull. Photos by M Photographic / Stockport County.