Gateshead 1-2 Tamworth

04/12/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Nathan FisherTen-man Gateshead conceded a last minute goal to crash out of the FA Cup after an eventful afternoon on Tyneside.

Trailing to Francino Francis's goal on the half hour The Heed were left with a mountain to climb when left back Chris Carruthers was sent off just before the break.

Keiron St Aimie's spot kick was well saved by Jak Alnwick, at fault for The Lambs opener, and ten-man Gateshead rallied to level on the hour through Nathan Fisher.

Another Alnwick error from a corner, however, denied a spirited Gateshead a replay in the Midlands as the long wait to reach the 3rd round of the FA Cup goes on.

The Tynesiders opened brightly with Jon Shaw looping a header over the bar and Chris Moore advancing into the box without picking out the final pass.

Danny Mills then slipped in St.Aimie at the other end but his low cross from the byline was beaten away by Alnwick at his near post.

Shaw then broke out of defence to find Moore on the left. The wide man cut inside to hit a 24 yard shot straight at Jonathon Hedge.

Moore was then inches over the bar with another shot from outside the box as Tamworth got men behind the ball while becoming more influential on the break.

The Lambs took the lead on the half hour when Sam Habergham's accurate corner saw an under pressure Alnwick drop the ball underneath the bar in a packed area.

Francino Francis tapped home from virtually on the line, Alnwick then saving from Mills with Danny Thomas putting the rebound over the bar.

Moore had a shot deflected wide and then Fisher flashed a centre across goal before Tamworth then had the chance to put the tie to bed.

St.Aimie got goalside of Carruthers following a lob into the box and was pulled back by the Heed defender who was promptly red carded.

Alnwick made a flying save from At Aimie's spot kick and then the unmarked Mills put a back post free header over the bar when he should have scored.

Ten-man Gateshead were still in it and they hit back after the break when they found more space than they had in the opening 45 minutes.

Tamworth, however, had further chances with Ben Clark slipping as Paul Green's cross found St.Aimie only for Alnwick to make a fine block.

Kris Gate then had to head clear off the line, Clark off target from 25 yards as a gallant Gateshead refused to lie down.

They were back in it on 62 minutes when Fisher took Eddie Odhiambo's inside ball to superbly turn his marker and slide the ball home off the inside of the post.

Only a brilliant Alnwick reflex save from Patterson's close range volley prevented The Lambs from regaining the lead in an absorbing second half.

Clark's header from beyond the back post from Sam Rents' cross was clawed clear by Hedge while Moore burst into the box before going down under a challenge.

Gateshead were pressing for the winner but Tamworth remained a threat on the counter attack.

A heavy back pass from James Curtis put Alnwick in trouble and when the ball finally broke to St Aimie only a vital challenge from Rents saved the day.

Fisher had a 25 yard shot deflected wide while Richard Tait had a shot deflected into the side netting as play swung from end to end.

With a replay looming there was one last twist - and it proved to be a fatal one for The Heed.

Green swung a high corner into the box and as the ball drifted in on the wind Alnwick failed to gather at the back post and Patterson lashed home the close range winner.

It was the third consecutive FA Cup tie that Tamworth had scored a vital game changing last minute goal, a late show that left Gateshead with no time to hit back for a second time.


Gateshead: Alnwick, Baxter (Odhiambo 56), Carruthers, Gate, Curtis, Clark, Brittain (Rents 46), Turnbull, Shaw, Fisher, Moore
Subs (not used): Deasy (gk), Mulligan, Nix, Henderson

Goal: Fisher (62)

Bookings: Baxter (33)

Sent Off: Carruthers (42)


Tamworth: Hedge, Tait, Habergham, Courtney (Bradley 70) (McDonald 90), Francis, Mills, St.Aimie, Thomas(Barrow 76 6), Patterson, Green, Kanyuka

Subs (not used): Collister (gk), Shariff, Taylor Farah

Goals: Francis (29), Patterson (90)

Booking: Tait (68)


Referee: Paul Tierney (Wigan )

Attendance: 1,163


Ben Clark

Ben Clark attacks the ball


Kris Gate

Kris Gate


Phil Turnbull

Phil Turnbull


Nathan Fisher

Nathan Fisher scores


Ben Clark

Ben Clark. Photos by Martin Avery & Steven White (