Gateshead 1-1 Fleetwood Town

27/11/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Martin BrittainGateshead ended Conference Premier form team Fleetwood Town's winning streak but had to settle for a point at the International Stadium.

Gateshead's home form has been patchy - their last Conference win on home soil was back in September - but this draw stretched their unbeaten run to six games.

The Tynesiders took the game to the Cod Men and were the better side in the first half and full value for their half-time lead.

Gateshead were handed the opening goal of the game on a plate after a huge mix-up in the visitors defence.

Centre back Nathan Pond and goalkeeper Scott Davies clashed on the edge of the box as they tried to deal with Craig Baxter's ball into the right channel.

The ball broke to former Magpie Martin Brittain who had the simple task of rolling it into an empty net to give Gateshead an 11th minute lead.

Fleetwood, the league's top scorers with the best away record, were second best in the first half as an enterprising Gateshead took the game to the Lancastrians.

Micky Cummins' chip was held by Scott Davies after he was found by Kris Gate's through ball and then Cummins was well off target following good play from Brittain and Jon Shaw.

The Cod Men lacked bite but they twice sprang the offside trap inside two minutes midway through the first period.

On loan Magpie keeper Jak Alnwick made a great save from Gareth Seddon after he had been slipped in by Jamie Vardy.

Alnwick then had to be fleet of foot when he raced off his line to deny the dangerous Vardy.

Phil Turnbull shot straight at Davies from the corner of the box before the Heed opened up Fleetwood again.

A flowing move saw Baxter's chipped cross from inside the box clawed away by Davies with the alert Cummins nipping in front of Kieran Charnock to volley just over.

Fleetwood rallied after the break but Shaw remained a goal threat, turning his marker to shoot straight at Davies from 22 yards.

Substitute James Marwood then raced down the left to cut inside only for his shot to be deflected wide, Shaw then running at the Town defence to fire just past the post.

Shaw was also unlucky not to convert Chris Moore's cross from close in but the second goal wouldn't come and Fleetwood carried a much greater threat in the second half.

Galvanised by the introduction of Magno Vieira they were level on 73 minutes when the Brazilian released Vardy inside the box.

The Cod Men's leading scorer rounded Alnwick to find the net and only a superb reaction save from Alnwick denied Vieira the winner two minutes later.

Neither side, however, was able to claim a winner, Fleetwood finishing the stronger of the two sides despite suffering three bookings in four minutes late on.


Gateshead: Alnwick, Baxter, Carruthers, Gate (Henderson 82), Curtis, Clark, Brittain (Marwood 59), Turnbull , Shaw, Moore, Cummins (Fisher 87)
Subs (not used): Rents, Deasy (gk),

Goal: Brittain (11)


Fleetwood Town: Davies, Beeley, Pond, Milligan, Till (Vieira 61), Goodall, Mangan, Seddon, Charnock, Cavanagh, Vardy
Subs (not used): Clancy, Louis-Hamilton, Wassmer, Crowther

Goal: Vardy (73)

Bookings: Seddon (44), Cavanagh (57), Pond (87), Mangan (88), Vardy (90+1)


Referee: Ross Joyce (Middlesbrough)

Att: 768


Chris Moore

Chris Moore


Craig Baxter

Craig Baxter


Jon Shaw

Jon Shaw


Kris Gate

Kris Gate


Martin Brittain

Martin Brittain. Photos by Martin Avery, Simon Barclay & Michael Riddle.