Gateshead Reserves 1 Hull City Reserves 4

22/11/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Gary MulliganHull City's second string completed a quickfire league and cup double over Gateshead Reserves despite the Heed leading in the rematch on Tyneside.

Having lost 4-0 at North Ferriby earlier in the month Gateshead gave a good account of themselves in an eventful first half that was locked at 1-1.

The young Tigers, however, bossed the second period taking a 67th minute lead through Danny Emerton's second of the game and then scoring twice in the last ten minutes.

Tim Deasy had earlier denied the lively Emerton his hat-trick with an impressive 78th minute penalty save.

Gateshead handed a trial to young Southend United midfielder Merrick James-Lewis who played the full 90 minutes.

Deasy had to make early saves from Gavan Holihan and Emerton in the first five minutes and then Nathan Fisher cut inside to fire in a shot that was tipped around the post.

Chris Moore's pull back set up a great chance for Mulligan who side-footed wide of the far post and then Josh Gillies' through ball left Fisher with only the keeper to beat.

Robert Peet, however, saved with his foot, Fisher immediately set up again from a bizarre back pass but he couldn't pull the trigger inside the box and the chance went begging.

Within a flash a long clearance out of defence saw Emerton race clear at the other end where he lobbed Deasy before he was taken out by the onrushing Heed keeper.

As last defender Deasy was lucky to escape with a yellow card and Gateshead were ahead three minutes later.

A great ball in from wingback James Marwood saw Mulligan plant a diving header into the net at the near post.

Deasy spread himself to deny Emerton as an entertaining cup-tie ebbed and flowed but could do nothing about the Tiger's equaliser in the 26th minute.

The Gateshead defence could only look on as Kealan Dillon and Emerton exchanged passes with precision inside the box for Emerton to round Deasy and score from a narrow angle.

Gateshead hardly threatened after the break as a slick Hull side dominated the football, a Sam Rents cross that was clawed away from under the bar the nearest the Tynesiders came to scoring.

The Heed held out until midway through the half when a ball from the left dissected central defenders Dan Lay and Ewan Moyes.

With Deasy unable to rescue the situation Emerton lobbed the former Barrow man from nine yards to put Hull ahead.

Francis McCaffery should have made it three but fired wide and then a Lay push on Holihan saw Emerton's spot kick well saved by Deasy diving to his left.

It was a short stay of execution as Holihan, set up by Emerton, fired past Rents and Deasy and then sub. Paul McElroy made it four with a simple finish two minutes from time.


Gateshead Res: Deasy, Marwood, Rents, Nix, Moyes, Lay, Moore, James-Lewis, Mulligan, Fisher, Gillies
Subs (not used): Brown, Marshall, Lynch

Goal: Mulligan (19)

Bookings: Deasy (16), Lay (84)


Hull City Res: Peet, East, Mainwaring, Wilson, Papprill, Bradley, Dillon (McElroy 72), Emerton, Bennett (Gabbiadini 62), Holihan, McCaffrey (Margetts 83)
Subs (not used): Cracknell, Holt,

Goals: Emerton (26, 67), Holihan (82), McElroy (88)


Referee: Paul Davison (Norton)


Nathan Fisher

Nathan Fisher


Sam Rents

Sam Rents


Tim Deasy

Tim Deasy. Photos by Michael Riddle.