Gateshead 3-0 Hebburn Town

30/10/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Nathan FisherA Jon Shaw brace and a first goal of the season from Nathan Fisher saw Gateshead progress to the 1st round of the FA Cup for the third consecutive season.

Hebburn Town, the lowest ranked club left in the competition, held Ian Bogie's men in the first half but conceded three after the break.

The first North East derby between the two clubs attracted a four figure crowd, bigger than expected, and the underdogs produced an heroic first half display.

Once their defence had been breached by goal-a-game Shaw, however, the Heed peppered the Town goal and should have won by a greater margin.

The stats proved the point. Gateshead had 25 attempts at goal to Hebburn's three, all off target, and won the corner count 12-1.

Hebburn, playing five in midfield, frustrated Gateshead in the first half and fully deserved to reach the interval on level terms.

Gateshead's approach play lacked tempo and urgency with central defender James Curtis the closest to breaking the deadlock.

Curtis's bullet near post header from Martin Brittain's 21st minute corner was blocked on the line by Stephen Forster while Dan Regan made a good save from another Curtis header.

Hebburn's only shot at goal in the first period saw Dean Nicholson fire well over the bar from distance early on.

Sam Rents, playing in a more advanced role on the left, twice fired over the bar and Chris Carruthers' inviting cross missed both Shaw and Yemi Odubade.

Odubade, set up by Kris Gate, had a great chance to break the deadlock three minutes from the break but dragged his shot well wide.

Gateshead had dominated possession against a side five league's below them but it was a gutsy Hebburn who took the plaudits at half-time.

The one-way traffic continued after the break and any thoughts of a cup shock disappeared when the predatory Shaw struck twice in eight minutes.

Craig Baxter, a late replacement for Eddie Odhiambo who was injured in the warm up, swung over a 53rd minute cross into the heart of the Town box.

Shaw got in front of his marker to power a close range header into the net and he then made it two after Odubade had shot just wide.

Brittain's cross saw Shaw in space inside the box. His first shot was saved by Regan but the striker knocked home the rebound for his 18th goal of the season.

Hebburn forced their only corner in the 62nd minute and Paul Gardiner had a half chance but snatched at his shot and sliced wide.

Gate then found Odubade whose shot from the edge of the box grazed the outside of the post.

Substitute Fisher added a third midway through the half when Brittain pulled a corner back for the striker to curl a beauty into the far corner.

Fisher had another shot deflected over and Odubade had another good opening from Baxter's pass but his shot was blocked by Forster.

Hebburn had an opportunity to gain a consolation goal two minutes from time when Chris Lunn found Dean Nicholson whose angled shot was just the wrong side of the far post.

Fisher then had a 22-yard shot saved and Shaw almost grabbed his third hat-trick of the season only to shoot wide of the far post.

It was job done for the Tynesiders against a Hebburn Town side that did the STL Northern League 2nd division credit.


Gateshead: Alnwick, Baxter, Carruthers, Gate, Curtis (Clark 65), Henderson, Brittain, Turnbull (Nix 73), Shaw, Odubade, Rents (Fisher 62)
Subs (not used): Farman (gk), Cummins, Moyes, Briggs

Goals: Shaw (53, 61), Fisher (71)


Hebburn Town: Regan, Forster, Wright, King (Tate 75), Forsyth (Toomey 79), Jewels, Stephenson (Lunn 68), Gardiner, McBryde, S.Nicholson, D.Nicholson
Subs (not used): Harrison, Walker, Bamborough, Hunter

Referee: Darren Handley (Bolton)

Att: 1,198


Yemi Odubade

Yemi Odubade runs at the Hebburn defence


James Curtis challenges in the Hebburn box

James Curtis challenges in the Hebburn box


Nathan Fisher lets fly in the second half

Nathan Fisher lets fly in the second half


Jon Shaw scored twice

Jon Shaw scored twice


Phil Turnbull battles for the ball in midfield

Phil Turnbull battles for the ball in midfield. Photos by Martin Avery and Michael Riddle.