Gateshead Reserves 1-1 Livingston XI

05/10/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Nathan FisherNathan Fisher scored his second goal of the season as Gateshead reserves played out a 1-1 draw with Scottish outfit Livingston at a windswept International Stadium.

Fisher had earlier struck the bar with the game goalless and then nearly won it with the last kick of the game after racing on to Luke Procter's through ball.

Livingston hardly threatened in the first half but took a shock 45th minute lead through Michael Travis's free header.

There were plenty of chances at both ends after the break with on loan Newcastle keeper Jak Alnwick impressing the watching Peter Beardsley with a string of fine saves.

Given the number of chances created it was remarkable an open game produced just two goals.

Fisher flashed a 24 yard drive inches wide after just two minutes and then strike partner Gary Mulligan curled a shot just past the far post.

Mulligan volleyed straight at Livingston keeper Andrew Murphy and then produced a sweeping ball to Martin Brittain on the right.

The wide man's cross found Fisher unmarked at the back post but the former Boro youth product crashed his shot against the bar.

It took Livingston until the 34th minute to register their first shot at goal, Fisher producing another two efforts on goal at the other end.

Liam Gray volleyed wide of the far post for the visitors who then took the lead when the unmarked Travis superbly headed into the far corner from Ross Brady's free kick.

The Scots were much more threatening after the break and Alnwick had to make a smart save from sub Dylan Easton to prevent further damage.

Fisher, however, made space for himself inside a crowded box to lash a left foot shot into the roof of the net for the equaliser.

Mulligan and Kyle Nix then had shots tipped past the post before Alnwick was at full stretch to deny Ricky Burke.

James Marwood played 75 minutes in his second comeback game and should have put Gateshead in front with 20 minutes left.

Mulligan fed Fisher who dinked the ball onto the head of Marwood five yards out but Murphy somehow turned the ball to safety.

Liam Gray then threaded the ball into the path of Andrew Russell but Alnwick advanced to make another excellent save.

Dan Lay's back pass fell short leaving the young Magpie exposed again but the teenager produced an important block to frustrate Russell.

Gateshead twice almost claimed victory in the last five minutes of an entertaining game.

Mulligan's cross found the onrushing Nix who headed straight at Murphy and then Fisher showed good pace to break clear only for Murphy to again come out on top.


Gateshead Res: Alnwick, Baxter (Allan 67), Short, Marwood (Berj 75), Briggs, Lay, Brittain (Procter 71), Nix, Mulligan, Fisher, Mole
Sub (not used): Deasy (gk)

Goal: Fisher (52)


Nathan Fisher


Jamie Mole


Jamie Mole


Martin Brittain


Kyle Nix


Jamie Mole

Photos by Michael Riddle.