Gateshead 3-2 York City

28/09/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Jon ShawGateshead reclaimed top spot in the Blue Square Bet Premier as outright leaders after a magnificent game at the International Stadium.

Jon Shaw again stole the headlines with his second hat-trick in four days - a superb effort - but this was an all round display that could have brought a more comprehensive win.

Gateshead were firmly in control and leading by two goals when James Curtis headed an Adriano Moke corner into his own net three minutes from time.

James Meredith then almost pinched an equaliser three minutes into injury time but Paul Farman came to the rescue.

Anything less than three points would have been a travesty as Gateshead put in their best 90 minutes of the season so far against a good York side.

After four straight Conference defeats against the Minstermen this was a famous first victory in front of the largest crowd to watch a regular Conference game at the International Stadium, 1,604.

"It was a brilliant performance and to a man the lads were magnificent," said delighted manager Ian Bogie "and to have a record crowd is the icing on the cake.

"York are the best outfit we have faced so far. Both sides went on all out attack and it made for a great spectacle from the start to the finish.

"Jon Shaw's second hat-trick of the week was a tremendous effort and the delivery into the box from Josh Gillies was top drawer.

"We were good value for the win and certainly shouldn't have been hanging on at the end - but it wouldn't be Gateshead if we didn't put everyone through the wringer !

"It was a great advert for Blue Square Bet Premier football. We created a lot of chances and Shaw's second goal would have graced any game."

Gateshead got off to a dream start when Gillies won a corner in the second minute and then curled the flag kick into the danger area.

Surprisingly Shaw was able to climb relatively unchallenged to power a great header into the roof of the net.

Yemi Odubade, a threat throughout, had two shots from inside the area blocked by defenders while Ben Clark put a header wide from another Gillies corner.

York, however, were level in their first threat on goal, Jamie Reed's short ball leaving Jason Walker all alone in the penalty area.

The former Barrow and Luton Town striker calmly chipped the ball over Paul Farman but within four minutes Gateshead were back in front.

Again it was the Gillies-Shaw combination that did the damage.

Gillies, a revelation since getting into the side, curled a beauty onto the head of Shaw who again made no mistake.

Micky Cummins, excellent in midfield, then had a 25 yard shot held by Michael Ingham at the foot of the post.

An Eddie Odhiambo cross was then cleared by David McGurk only for Odubade's rasping drive to force Ingham to tip over.

It was a pulsating game and Ashley Chambers' shot brought a diving save from Farman, Cummins putting a free header wide at the other end.

The Minstermen began the second half brightly but Gateshead twice went close to stretching their lead in the opening ten minutes.

Had Odubade gone down after a surging run when tripped by last man McGurk the City defender would have been sent off.

Odubade just managed to stay on his feet but was off balance as Ingham advanced off his line to block the striker's shot.

Gillies then shot straight at Ingham after he had been played in by Cummins' measured through ball.

Andre Boucad dragged a shot wide for York and then Curtis was inches away from converting Clark's glancing header from Rents' corner.

Gateshead did a get a third on 68 minutes when makeshift City right back Jon Challinor hauled down Odubade inside the box.

Shaw duly slotted home the spot kick to claim another matchball and set up an 8th win of the season.

Livewire Odubade then nicked the ball from Challinor, glided past McGurk to hit a 20 yard shot that Ingham tipped over the bar.

Cummins then won the ball in midfield to find Odubade whose long range rocket was tipped past the post by Ingham at full stretch.

York looked to be out of it but they were given a late lifeline when Curtis, under pressure from McGurk, headed powerfully into his own net.

Suddenly the Heed were wobbling and defending deep and they almost paid the price in stoppage time.

A long ball over the top found Meredith alone in the box but the full back could only stretch out a leg and hit a shot into the chest of Farman.

Drama from the first minute to the last as Gateshead reclaimed the outright leadership of the Conference Premier after an International Stadium thriller.


GATESHEAD: Farman, Odhiambo, Curtis, Clark, Rents, Gate (Nix 71), Turnbull, Cummins, Gillies (Mulligan 75), Shaw, Odubade.
Subs (not used): Alnwick (gk), Fisher, Baxter.

Goals: Shaw (2, 26, 68-pen)

Bookings: None


York City: Ingham, Challinor, McGurk, Fyfield, Meredith, Kerr, Boucaud, McLaughlin (Moké 65), Reed (Blair 46), Walker, Chambers (Henderson 69)

Subs (not used): Smith, Parslow

Goals: Walker (23), Curtis-og (87)

Bookings: Boucad (19), McGurk (52), Challinor (69), Meredith (76)


Referee: Peter Bankes (Bootle)

Attendance: 1,604


Jon Shaw scores for Gateshead

Jon Shaw scores


Yemi Odubade

Yemi Odubade wins possession


Yemi Odubade is fouled for a penalty

Yemi Odubade is fouled for a penalty


The Heed Army celebrate

The Heed Army celebrate. Photos by Martin Avery.