Sunderland Reserves 1-0 Gateshead Reserves

22/09/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Jak AlnwickGateshead Reserves put up a spirited show against Premier League club Sunderland's second string at Hetton-le-Hole only to lose to the only goal of the game.

The Black Cats hit the woodwork twice and were denied by on loan Newcastle keeper Jak Alnwick on several occasions.

Gateshead's luck, however, ran out in the 74th minute when Roarie Deakin slotted home Billy Knott's drag back from the by-line.

The Heed included two trialists, former Newcastle United trainee Frank Danquah and French midfielder Lewis Eloung.

Bryson's side battled bravely throughout but rarely threatened Jordan Pickford in the home goal, late pressure coming to nothing.

"For the endeavour and commitment we displayed we possibly deserved a draw," said reserves boss Paul Bryson.

"We've put on a decent show against a Premiership outfit, and if we can compete against sides like Sunderland then we must be doing something right."

Nathan Fisher, in the wars after being on the end of a number of robust challenges, broke in the 7th minute but his angled shot was straight at Pickford.

Alnwick then saved from Craig Lynch and Oumare Tounkara sliced wide at the near post after Liam Marrs' cross had only been half cleared.

Tounkara, given time and space just inside the box, then side-footed a shot against the far post with Alnwick beaten.

Gateshead weathered the storm and threatened themselves when Kyle Nix did well to dispossess David Meyler in midfield.

Gary Mulligan's lay-off sent Fisher goalwards down the left channel but again his left foot shot was into Pickford's hands.

Martin Britain's 46th minute free kick was also comfortably saved before the young Black Cats again went close.

Marrs' cross found Tounkara whose effort was tipped onto the post by Alnwick who then came out on top in a one-on-one with Lynch who had been sent free by James Armstrong.

With their backs to the wall Gateshead continued to defend resolutely with Alnwick saving Marr's drive at his near post.

A goal, however,looked to be coming and it duly arrived 16 minutes from time, a minute after Deakin had seen an effort ruled out for offside.

Half-time sub Billy Knott got the better of Dan Lay on the by-line to pull the ball back for Deacon, the former Arsenal man having a simple task to stroke the ball home.

Ewan Moyes joined Craig Baxter in the referee's notebook after protesting to a linesman that the goal shouldn't have stood.

Gateshead applied late pressure with crosses into the box but the Wearsiders defence held firm, Moyes heading over a Brittain corner.

A home break in the last minute saw Heed Man of the Match Alnwick dive to his left to save from Knott as the reserves, just like the first team the night before, pulled up just short.


Sunderland Res: Pickford, Marrs, Watson, Meyler (Knott, 46), Bagnall, Laing, Deacon, Armstrong, McClean, Tounkara (Reed, 63), Lynch (Mitchell, 80)

Goal: Deacon (74)

Booked: Watson (57)


Gateshead Res: Alnwick, Baxter, Rents, Briggs, Moyes, Lay (Gilbert 77), Brittain, Nix (Eloung 56), Danquah (Berj, 63), Mulligan, Fisher
Sub (not used): Marshall

Booked: Baxter (57), Moyes (75)


Att: 330


Kyle Nix

Kyle Nix


Dan Lay

Dan Lay


Craig Baxter

Craig Baxter. Photos by Michael Riddle