Gateshead 1-1 Cambridge United

18/09/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Josh GilliesGateshead are back on top of the Blue Square Bet Premier, although they had to settle for a share of the spoils at home to former 2nd division club Cambridge United.

The Heed have made a superb start to the season losing just once in the opening nine games, but had to come from behind against the U's.

An impressive first half was followed by a frustrating second as the visitors dug deep to stretch their unbeaten run to five games.

After early efforts from Micky Cummins and Yemi Odubade had produced routine saves from Cambridge keeper Danny Naisbitt Gateshead fell behind in the 16th minute.

It was a wake-up call for Ian Bogie's high flyers and they had another scare when the U's put together another good move.

Farman saved at the near post from Luke Berry but was unable to hold on to the ball, a linesman's flag coming to the rescue.

Gateshead threatened for the first time midway through the half.

Josh Gillies threaded a ball into the left side of the box where Kris Gate saw his angled left foot shot saved at full stretch by Naisbitt.

Gateshead then turned up the heat and Cummins' headed flick on gave Gillies a half chance but the wide man was crowded out.

With Odubade causing problems down the right the Tynesiders remained on the front foot but were almost caught out a second time.

Making a mess of a throw-in deep inside the visitors half Carew's deep cross saw former Heed loan star Peter Winn head over from close in.

Within two minutes Gateshead were level. A Tom Shaw foul on the fleet-footed Odubade saw Rents roll the ball into the path of Gillies who rifled home from 28 yards.

It was a great finish from the youngster making his first start of the season in place of the injured Chris Moore.

Gillies side-footed another effort wide from Jon Shaw's low cross and then Odubade curled a left foot shot inches past the angle on the stroke of half-time.

It had been an entertaining first half but chances were few and far between for the Tynesiders after the break.

The Heed struggled to create openings, Cambridge twice going close when Farman tipped over from James Jennings and Gillies cleared a Rory McAuley effort off the line.

Berry created space for himself on the left side of the box but then snatched at his shot and blazed over the bar.

With top scorer Shaw often forced out wide and the midfield unable to open up the U's defence Naisbitt was well protected.

Gillies fired well over from 25 yards while only an outstretched leg from James Curtis prevented Berry from racing on to Carew's through ball.

Gillies had a late volley into the ground tipped over but by then both sides had run out of ideas and a point apiece was the right outcome.

Gateshead will now look to maintain pole position against struggling Lincoln City at Sincil Bank on Tuesday.


Gateshead: Farman, Odhiambo, Rents (Carruthers 69), Gate, Curtis, Clark, Gillies (Fisher 83), Turnbull, Shaw, Odubade, Cummins
Subs (not used): Alnwick (gk), Nix, Mulligan

Goal: Gillies (32)

Bookings: Odhiambo (64), Curtis (89)


Cambridge United: Naisbitt, Roberts, Jennings, Coulson, Shaw, Gash (Murtagh 77), Carew (Patrick 83), McAuley, Jarvis, Berry, Winn (Dunk 69)
Subs (not used): Brown (gk), Marriott

Goal: Carew (16)

Booking: Carew (69)


Referee: Darren Bond (Burscough)

Att: 904


Yemi Odubade

Yemi Odubade


Eddie Odhiambo

Eddie Odhiambo


Jon Shaw

Jon Shaw


Eddie Odhiambo

Eddie Odhiambo. Photos by Martin Avery & Michael Riddle.