Fleetwood Town 3-1 Gateshead

11/09/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Yemi OdubadeGateshead remain joint top of the Blue Square Bet Premier despite suffering their first defeat of the season as Wrexham also lost by the same score, 3-1, at Barrow.

Both clubs are four points clear of third placed Mansfield Town and five points ahead of sixth placed Fleetwood.

The Heed were two down when Yemi Odubade's stunning last minute free kick gave belated hope at the other Highbury.

Livewire Fleetwood new boy Jamie Vardy, however, put the game to bed deep into stoppage time with his second goal of the game.

After a goalless first half a magnificent long range rocket from Town substitute Andy Mangan broke the deadlock early in the second period.

Gateshead were without top scorer Jon Shaw for the first time with an injured foot and manager Ian Bogie was philosophical after a tough 90 minutes.

"It is always disappointing when you lose your first game but Fleetwood are a good side," said Bogie "we have lost but are still in a very healthy position at the top of the table.

"We dominated the opening half hour, and forced Fleetwood to change their shape, but didn't get our reward.

"The first goal then took the sting out of us and the second late on left us with a mountain to climb as Fleetwood are hotly tipped for promotion.

"Odubade came up with a great strike only for Fleetwood to hit us on the break with the last kick of the game, but it is no disgrace to lose against them.

"We now have a free week to prepare for the visit of Cambridge United when we will attempt to get back to winning ways."

There was little between the sides in the opening half though Gateshead had a scare in the first minute when they were caught short at the back after Eddie Odhiambo lost possession.

No-one was able to get on the end of Stefan Cox's cross, however, and Gateshead replied with a Micky Cummins half volley that was held by Scott Davies, Gary Mulligan providing the knock down.

Cox fired wide from distance and then Heed keeper Paul Farman was in trouble when Odhiambo's back pass fell short.

The under pressure keeper's clearance hit Jamie McGuire and rebounded to Magno Vieira who was only denied by a fine Ben Clark challenge.

Odhiambo was booked for a foul on Cox who was replaced on the half hour as the Cod men changed their shape to combat Gateshead's 4-3-3.

Kris Gate, put in by James Curtis on the right side of the box, had a shot that lacked venom saved by Davies at his near post.

Vieira turned provider with a low cross from the right that brought a smart Farman save from Vardy while Mulligan put a near post header from Odubade's cross wide at the other end.

Both defences held firm, Gateshead looking for a third consecutive shut out, Clark and defensive lynchpin James Curtis typically defiant.

The other three games at Highbury this season had produced just a solitary goal but that was doubled early in the second period with a Mangan special.

The former Forest Green and Wrexham man let fly from distance with devastating effect as the ball flew into the net off the underside of the bar.

Gateshead had penalty claims waved aside when a Cummins shot hit Jamie Milligan's arm and Chris Moore fired high and wide when well placed.

The dangerous Odubade dragged an eight yard shot wide of the far post after being set up by Cummins as the Tynesiders attempted to strike back.

Cummins then had a shot deflected wide but it was the Cod men who almost doubled their lead on 65 minutes.

A good move saw Vardy's right side cross find Vieira who put a free header past the angle at the near post.

Sam Rents' corner was headed over by Curtis at the other end, substitute Josh Gillies' corner then finding Curtis only for Davies to get down and block.

Gateshead fell further behind with ten minutes left when Vardy eased past Clark on the right side of the box to fire past Farman.

It looked all over for Bogie's men but they were given a lifeline when Paul Linwood brought down Gate outside the box on 90 minutes.

Odubade curled superbly into the top corner from 25 yards as referee Wayne Barratt indicated there would be four minutes of stoppage time.

When a Heed free kick was cleared Gateshead-born striker Richard Brodie sent Vardy racing clear and the former Shayman, with only Farman to beat, finished clinically to claim another brace.

The referee immediately brought proceedings to a close leaving Gateshead to pick up the pieces at home to mid-table Cambridge next Saturday.


Fleetwood Town: Davies, Beeley, Edwards, Linwood, Atkinson, Vardy, Milligan (Briggs 88), McGuire, Vieira, Seddon (Brodie 73), Cox (Mangan 29)
Subs (not used): Goodall, St.Louis Hamilton (gk)

Goals: Mangan (51), Vardy (80, 90+5)

Booking: Mangan (42)


Gateshead: Farman, Odhiambo, Rents, Gate, Curtis, Clark, Moore (Gillies 60), Turnbull, Mulligan, Odubade, Cummins (Fisher 77)
Subs (not used): Alnwick (gk), Baxter, Carruthers

Goal: Odubade (90)

Booking: Odhiambo (19)


Referee: Wayne Barratt (Worcester)

Att: 1,388


Yemi Odubade

Yemi Odubade.


Yemi Odubade scores a free kick against Fleetwood Town

Yemi Odubade scores from a late free kick


Eddie Odhiambo

Eddie Odhiambo


Gateshead fans

Photos by Fleetwood Town FC.