Gateshead Reserves 3-1 Rotherham United Reserves

06/09/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Nathan FisherGateshead reserves maintained their impressive start to the season with a 3-1 Central League win over Rotherham United at the International Stadium.

Goals from strike pair Gary Mulligan and Nathan Fisher and another from midfield man Josh Gillies saw the Tynesiders home.

Former Cambridge United forward Chris Holroyd replied for the Millers with a fine solo effort, all the goals coming in the first half.

"Just as in the previous wins against Hartlepool United the first half was action packed," said reserves boss Paul Bryson "we played very well and cut Rotherham open with some great football."

"The second half was not as eventful but we still had the better chances. It has been a superb start for both the first team and the reserves and there is a real spring in the step of everyone at the club."

After Tim Deasy had easily saved from Nicky Travis Mulligan shot over after exchanging passes with Gillies.

A Mitchell Rose trip on Fisher then saw Kyle Nix's 13th minute free kick come back off the bar, Kyle Vassell then puting a good chance over at the other end.

An explosive two minutes ended with Gateshead taking the lead after Gillies' through ball had put captain Rob Briggs in on goal.

Experienced former Doncaster and York City keeper Andy Warrington made a stunning one handed save only for Mulligan to confidently knock home the rebound from an angle.

Muligan then had a shot tipped around the post and then Fisher was off target after being set up ny Nix.

Just as against Hartlepool the Heed were driving forward and playing quality football on an excellent surface and they added a second goal on 20 minutes.

A great ball from Gillies saw Fisher sidestep his marker, his shot partially saved by Warrington only for the ball to have enough pace to cross the line.

The Millers should have pulled a goal back a minute later when Holroyd's cross left trialist Kyle Vassell a close range free header which he put past the post.

Both sides were playing at a good tempo and after Holroyd had shot into the side netting he brought his side back in it with a brilliant goal.

Showing good skill to bring down Warrington's high clearance on the right touchline near halfway Holroyd's long infield run was finished with an 18 yard shot that found the bottom corner.

Undeterred Gateshead swept forward again, Mulligan slipping a pass into the path of the onrushing Craig Baxter whose shot brought another good save from Warrington.

From Nix's corner Mulligan's downward header was tipped over by the overworked Warrington, another Nix flag kick seeing Mulligan volley over from inside the box.

Gateshead were peppering the Rotherham goal and Fisher wasn't far wide from 24 yards from Briggs' lay-off.

A misunderstanding between Carruthers and Deasy saw the full back's header back to the Heed keeper go past the post with Deasy in no mans land.

Gateshead added a third goal in the 44th minute when Mulligan headed on a Baxter throw in and Gillies volleyed home.

Just as in the previous home win over Pools there was a lot less incident in the second half as Rotherham tried in vain to find a way back into the game.

A good ball from Martin Brittain saw Mulligan shoot powerfully into the side netting while Holroyd got behind the Heed defence only for Deasy to block.

Briggs was denied by Warrington again on the hour after Gillies had pulled the ball back from the by-line.

Former Derby County midfielder Ben Pringle had an angled drive tipped over by Deasy while Alec Denton shot past the near post.

With another impressive win assured Ewan Moyes had a header from Brittain's free kick deflected for a corner


Gateshead Res: Deasy, Baxter, Carruthers, Briggs, Moyes, Lay, Brittain, Nix, Mulligan, Fisher, Gillies
Subs (not used): Marshall, Gilbert, Luke

Goals: Mulligan (14), Fisher (20), Gillies (44)


Rotherham Utd Res: Warrington, Tonge, Fox, Foster, Hall, Travis, Royles, Rose (Denton 69), Vassell, Holroyd, Pringle
Subs (not used): Brown, Leydon, Woods, Lynsey

Goal: Holroyd (27)


Referee: Gary Beswick (Newton Aycliffe)


Craig Baxter

Craig Baxter


Martin Brittain

Martin Brittain


Nathan Fisher

Nathan Fisher


Rob Briggs

Rob Briggs. Photos by Michael Riddle.