Gateshead Reserves 2-1 Hartlepool United Reserves

31/08/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Gary MulliganGateshead reserves completed a quickfire league and cup double over Hartlepool United thanks to two well taken goals from Gary Mulligan.

This 2-1 League Cup win mirrored the result last week at Victoria Park in the Central League.

Reserves manager Paul Bryson said: "It was a great win and I was delighted with the first half performance when we were very lively.

"To beat Hartlepool twice is a good start to the season. The lads have responded really well and it's something for us to build on."

A rampant Gateshead had ten attempts at goal in the opening 20 minutes but had only Gary Mulligan's 16th minute strike to show for their domination.

Mulligan was in inside the opening minute but a heavy touch let the visitors off the hook.

The Heed were playing some great stuff and two Gillies runs down the left saw Nathan Fisher's shot blocked, Gillies then driving wide of the near post.

Martin Brittain's inviting cross then hit former Sunderland defender Stephen Wright and went just past the post while Rob Briggs was next to go close with two attempts.

It was one way traffic and when Briggs' ball was chested down by Mulligan the Irishman held off a challenge to find the corner from 15 yards.

It was a good finish and Fisher then had a 25 yard shot saved by Liam Mooney while Brittain flashed a free kick inches wide.

A run by Gillies through the centre saw him feed Mulligan whose 27 yard shot was fumbled by Mooney at the expense of a corner.

Hartlepool mustered their first shot at goal on 35 minutes when a mistake by Dan Lay saw former Newcastle star Nobby Solano lob wide from out on the right.

Gateshead trialist Kris Thackray was then undone by James Brown whose drag back saw Alex Cooper shoot wastefully over the bar.

The start of the second half was largely uneventful until Mulligan gave the Heed a two goal cushion on 55 minutes.

Briggs lifted a ball over a square Hartlepool defence and Mulligan held off his challenger to drill a shot from just inside the box past Mooney.

Pools were immediately almost gifted a lifeline when Kyle Nix passed infield straight to visitors striker Larkin.

The much travelled front man advanced on goal and just inside the box, but Deasy advanced to make a crucial block with his legs.

Veteran Peru international Solano's contribution had been minimal and he was replaced with 25 minutes remaining.

There was much less goalmouth incident in the second half and United were back in it after 72 minutes thanks to a linesman's flag.

Substitute Lewis Hawkins' header from Darren Holden's corner was cleared by Nix but the ball looked to have crossed the line, belatedly confirmed by the linesman.

Deasy easily held a Jack Baldwin header as Pools, lifted by the goal, pushed for an equaliser, Gateshead much less threatening in the second 45 minutes.

A rare home break saw Gillies' flighted ball pick out the onrushing Fisher who dragged his left foot shot wide, Fisher then shooting straight at Mooney.

Gateshead should have been home and hosed by half-time rather than hanging on at the end and both wins over the League One club should have been more convincing.

Paul Bryson's side nevertheless have made a very encouraging start to the season with newboys Rotherham United next up.


Gateshead Res: Deasy, Baxter, Lay (Gilbert 88), Briggs, Moyes, Thackray, Brittain (Brown 85), Nix, Mulligan, Fisher, Gillies
Subs (not used): Porter (gk), Marshall

Goals: Mulligan (16, 65)


Hartlepool Utd Res: Mooney, Wright, Holden, Richards (Hawkins 59), Johnson, Baldwin, Solano (Snaith 66), Sweeney (James 66), Brown, Larkin, Cooper

Goal: Hawkins (72)


Referee: Graeme Fyvie (Sunderland)

Att: 107


Gary Mulligan

Gary Mulligan


Kris Thackray

Kris Thackray


Nathan Fisher

Nathan Fisher. Photos by Michael Riddle.