Gateshead 1-0 Grimsby Town

29/08/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Jon ShawGrimsby Town have now never won on Tyneside in seven attempts dating back to when both sides were in the Football League.

A superb Jon Shaw goal on the hour was enough to send the Mariners home pointless once again, Gateshead maintaining second spot in the table with Town second bottom.

It is a scenario that few would have envisaged six games into the new season, but Gateshead are level on points with leaders Wrexham on merit.

There is no doubt that when you are going well you usually get the rub of the green, and when you are struggling good fortune is in short supply.

Grimsby will believe they should have got something from this game having a marginal offside 'goal' ruled out and having strong claims for a late penalty turned down.

The Mariners also had another effort cleared off the line, Paul Farman saved a one-on-one with the dangerous Liam Hearn and Rob Duffy missed a sitter just after the Heed had taken the lead.

Gateshead couldn't get going in the first half, giving the ball away cheaply and creating little, but they were much better after the break.

Shaw missed a good opportunity just before he scored and there was more momentum to the Tynesiders play in the second 45 minutes.

A misfiring Grimsby, however, caused late problems but the Tynesiders hung on determinedly to make it five wins from six unbeaten games.

It is a blistering start from Ian Bogie's in-form side who will look to continue their impressive run at home to Alfreton Town on Saturday.

Bogie said: "Grimsby made it very difficult for us. We were poor in the first half and they will feel they should have got something from the game.

"Our passing was off in the first half and we gave the ball away cheaply . We were a lot better after the break and the goal we scored was a beauty.

"Jon Shaw had missed an easier chance minutes earlier but it was great ball into the box from Odubade and a superb finish from a striker in good nick.

"We asked a lot more questions of Grimsby in the second half but couldn't get the second goal which would have killed them off.

"It was another good three points and a maximum return over the Bank Holiday weekend which sets up Saturday's home game with Alfreton Town."

Frankie Artus fired just over early on and after an uneventful opening 20 minutes both sides could have scored within a minute.

Sam Rents' half cleared cross fell for captain Ben Clark whose powerful shot from outside the box unfortunately was down the throat of James McKeown.

The keeper's long clearance then caught Gateshead short at the back and Hearn's shot was saved by Farman at the foot of the post.

A trademark Phil Turnbull step over saw the midfielder drive a left foot shot wide of the post before the home goal led a charmed life on the half hour.

Hearn's miscued shot hit Shaun Pearson to ricochet towards goal where Kris Gate cleared from just in front of the line.

Duffy then headed a Hearn cross onto the roof of the net as Town looked the likelier of the two sides.

A misplaced James Curtis pass saw Hearn accelerate past Turnbull to home in on goal but Farman advanced off his line to make an excellent block.

A ball over the top the saw Hearn race clear again, Farman just managing to race off his line to make a crucial challenge outside the box.

Bogie, and assistant Terry Mitchell, will have been glad to get their charges into the dressing room still on level terms and it was a recharged Gateshead who started the second half on the front foot.

Turnbull put Odubade in on the right but the former Oxford and Stevenage man pulled his pass just behind the lurking Shaw.

Shaw's header from Rents' free kick was then easily held by Mckeown but the intent, so lacking in the first half, was back as the Heed stepped up several gears.

It was now all Gateshead and more pressure saw Chris Moore set up a great chance for Shaw from ten yards but the striker shot wide.

The all important goal then arrived on 58 minutes.

A sublime ball into the box from Odubade was met with an equally sublime finish from Shaw who drilled an angled shot into the far bottom corner.

It maintained the former England C striker's impressive record of scoring in every game this season and was a goal fit to win any game.

Grimsby, however, should have levelled within two minutes.

Great skill inside the box from Hearn left Curtis for dead and his pass set up the unmarked Duffy who contrived to sidefoot over the bar from ten yards.

Odubade, a constant threat out wide, then set up Gate who had time but elected to hit a first time shot well over from outside the box.

The Mariners then piled on the pressure in the final ten minutes.

Substitute Anthony Elding stroked home Hearn's driven right side cross only to be undone by the linesman's flag.

A ball just outside the box then inadvertently glanced off the top of Turnbull's head and into the danger area.

Elding failed to capitalise and when the ball broke to fellow sub Jamie Spencer he couldn't pull the trigger either.

Gateshead were living dangerously and when Clark misjudged a high ball arrowed towards the box alarm bells were ringing again.

Clark, attempting to retrieve the situation, appeared to bundle Spencer over in the box but the Heed defender was given the benefit of the doubt by the referee.

Grimsby protests were over-ruled and when Farman saved Artus' 35 yard drive in stoppage time low to his left a fifth win of the season was confirmed much to the delight of the majority in the first four figure crowd of the season at the International Stadium.


Gateshead: Farman, Odhiambo, Rents, Gate, Curtis, Clark, Moore (Fisher 73), Turnbull, Shaw, Odubade (Mulligan 90), Cummins (Nix 73)
Subs (not used): Deasy (gk), Baxter

Goal: Shaw (58)

Booking: Moore (55)


Grimsby Town: McKeown, Church (Elding 75), Kempson, Coulson (Makofo 60), Disley, Hearn, Artus, Duffy (Spencer 60), Pearson, Wood, I'anson
Subs (not used): Thompson, Freeman

Bookings: Church (28), Disley (37), Wood (61)


Referee: Ross Joyce (Middlesbrough)

Att: 1,132


Chris Moore

Chris Moore


Micky Cummins

Micky Cummins


Jon Shaw scores the winner for Gateshead

Jon Shaw scores the winner for Gateshead


Chris Moore

Chris Moore


Yemi Odubade

Yemi Odubade


Phil Turnbull

Phil Turnbull. Photos by Michael Riddle.