Barrow 1-2 Gateshead

28/08/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Jon ShawUnbeaten Gateshead were knocked off the top of the Blue Square Bet Premier on goal difference by Wrexham despite another impressive victory on the road.

A first half Jon Shaw double, who spent a time on loan at Barrow, put Gateshead on the way to a third consecutive away win of the new season, eight goals scored in successful visits to Kidderminster, Southport and Barrow.

The Tynesiders will now look to make home advantage count on Bank Holiday Monday afternoon when they entertain Grimsby Town at the International Stadium while Wrexham are at home to Fleetwood Town.

Gateshead were two up by the half hour at Holker Street on Saturday but Adam Boyes pulled a goal back before the interval to keep an Andy Ferrell led Barrow in the game.

Heed boss Ian Bogie was delighted with another three point return but believes his side should have put the game to bed after Shaw's double.

"We fully merited the win and the only disappointment is that we had enough chances to win three games but didn't take them," said Bogie.

"We got ourselves two up and in a great position but conceded a sloppy goal before the break which put us on the back foot.

"At 2-0 we had chances to kill the game off and we had to defend well in the second half but also had chances to add to our tally.

"It got a bit edgy and we had to defend for our lives at times but coming to Barrow is never easy and it is another excellent three points.

"If we can beat Grimsby Town on Monday - another tough game - it will have been a great Bank Holiday weekend. It's disaapointing to be knocked off the top, especially after winning away, but we're second on goal difference only and in a strong position after five games."

Gateshead forced the early play with Ben Clark firing over at the back post from a Chris Moore corner.

Moore then set up Shaw whose deflected shot was turned around the post by Danny Hurst who then had to claw away Yemi Odubade's 20 yard free kick.

Table-toppers Gateshead were bossing the play and they hit the Bluebirds with with two goals in four minutes.

Kris Gate was the provider for both, his 23rd minute cross headed on by Micky Cummins for Shaw to force the ball home from the edge of the six yard box.

The Heed then doubled their lead when another Gate cross was bundled home by Shaw, Hurst unable to save as the effort bobbled into the net.

Barrow were back in it nine minutes from the interval when Jack Mackreth got away down the left, his cross parried by Paul Farman into the path of Boyes who tapped into an empty net.

Gateshead, however, almost reclaimed their two goal advantage when the lively Odubade cut inside past Paul Smith only for Hurst to palm his shot to safety.

Wide man Moore, set up by Chris Carruthers, had a one-on-one early in the second half but again Hurst came out on top.

Farman then couldn't hold on to a Paul Rutherford shot with Boyes unable to convert the rebound as the game, now end to end, remained in the balance.

Boyes had an effort from Rutherford's cross deflected wide while Cummins' header deflected onto the roof of the net, the Heed midfielder then denied by Hurst.

A Moore shot on the turn was saved by Hurst, the busier of the two keepers, while a timely Gate block frustrated Boyes as Barrow searched for an equaliser.

The Cumbrians had applied pressure in a more evenly fought second half without over troubling Farman and Gateshead had two chances to stretch their lead in stoppage time.

Odubade had a shot saved by Hurst and then Cummins shot over as Gateshead made it four wins and a draw from their opening five Blue Square Bet Premier games.


Barrow: Hurst, Smith (Almond 84), Quinn, Skelton, Pearson, Rutherford, Hulbert, Ferrell (Baker 80), Mackreth, Cook, Boyes
Subs (not used): Pearson (GK), Bolland, Lomax

Goal: Boyes (34)

Bookings: Hulbert (20), Quinn (84)


Gateshead: Farman, Odhiambo (Baxter 79 ), Carruthers (Rents 53), Gate, Curtis, Clark, Moore, Turnbull, Shaw (Mulligan 65), Odubade, Cummins
Subs (not used): Fisher, Deasy (gk),

Goals: Shaw (22, 26)

Bookings: Turnbull (40), Odubade (60)


Referee: Darren Handley (Bolton)

Att: 1,291


Jon Shaw

Jon Shaw


Paul Farman

Paul Farman


Ben Clark

Ben Clark


Jon Shaw

Jon Shaw. Photos by Bill Watkinson, North West Evening Mail.