Gateshead 3-0 Mansfield Town

17/08/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Yemi OdubadeGateshead made it two wins and six goals from the opening two games to sit proudly on top of the Conference Premier for the first time in their history.

While it is clearly early days the signs are encouraging and the Tynesiders will attempt to maintain their lofty perch with victory over Kettering Town at the International Stadium on Saturday.

Jon Shaw, the subject of a rejected £40,000 bid from Blue Square Bet Premier league rivals Luton Town, opened the scoring just past the half hour.

A Yemi Odubade super goal stretched the lead on 41 minutes and then James Curtis headed home on the hour to complete a comprehensive win.

The Heed, however, did not have things all their own way and were second best during the opening half hour as the Stags sprayed the ball around without seriously testing Paul Farman.

Mansfield had an early chance when Matt Green eased past James Curtis but Ben Clark did enough to prevent Paul Connor from scoring.

Luke O'Neill then threaded a ball into the right side of the box where Connor shot past the angle while Nathan Fisher had a shot charged down at the other end.

A slide rule Joe Kendrick pass saw Connor get between Clark and Curtis but Clark got back to make a superb challenge before the Stags striker could pull the trigger.

Louis Briscoe then got the better of Chris Carruthers to whip in a a low cross that Curtis did well to turn over his own bar., Briscoe repeating the feat minutes later to further test the home defence.

The Heed were living dangerously but a Carruthers cross from the left had to be turned over his own bar by Jon Naylor.

Three minutes later Gateshead were ahead. Carruthers found Odubade from a throw in and his pass was swept home by fellow striker Shaw.

With four minutes left of the first half Odubade doubled the lead with a sensational goal.

Picking up Kris Gate's ball on the right flank the former Oxford and Stevenage striker hit the accelerator leaving Kendrick and Martin Riley for dead.

Cutting into the box a composed finish completed a fine solo effort to set Gateshead on course for the summit.

Connor headed over from close range just two minutes after the restart before Curtis headed home Micky Cummins' corner to put the game beyond Mansfield.

Riley put a diving header over the bar as the Stags continued to fire blanks and Curtis had to clear from just in front of the line from Briscoe's driven angled shot.

Mansfield's night to forget took another turn for the worse ten minutes from time when Naylor was sent off for a challenge on Odubade.

A great Eddie Odhiambo cross was volleyed over by Gate as the Tynesiders finished strongly with Alan Marriott holding on to Kyle Nix's free kick and Shaw's header.


Gateshead: Farman, Odhiambo, Carruthers, Gate, Curtis, Clark, Fisher (Moore 71), Turnbull, Shaw, Odubade (Mulligan 80), Cummins (Nix 83)
Subs (not used): Deasy (gk), Baxter

Goals: Shaw (33), Odubade (41), Curtis (59)

Bookings: None


Mansfield Town: Marriott, Naylor, Kendrick, Worthington (Smith 71), Riley, Briscoe, Stevenson, Connor (Dyer 61), Green (Wood 80), Murray, O'Neill
Subs (not used): Redmond (gk), Meikle

Bookings: Stevenson (46), Murray (85)

Sent Off: Naylor (80)


Referee: Stephen Smith (Darlington)

Att: 825


Gateshead celebrate Jon Shaws goal against Mansfield

Gateshead celebrate Jon Shaw's goal against Mansfield


Nathan Fisher battles for possession

Nathan Fisher battles for possession


Nathan Fisher

Nathan Fisher


Nathan Fisher beats the Mansfield defender

Nathan Fisher beats the Mansfield defender


Yemi Odubade celebrates scoring Gatesheads second goal

Yemi Odubade celebrates scoring Gateshead's second goal


Ben Clark challenges for a high ball

Ben Clark challenges for a high ball. Photos by Martin Avery and Michael Riddle.