Gateshead 1-3 Newcastle United XI

03/08/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Kyle NixGateshead put on a good show against a strong Newcastle United X1 in front of a bumper 2,108 crowd at the International Stadium.

The Heed were unlucky to be behind at the interval after taking a short-lived early lead from the penalty spot and then hitting the post twice with Steve Harper beaten.

The second half was harder work for Ian Bogie's men who gamely stuck to their task with Sammy Ameobi's second of the game clinching victory for the Magpies.

"It was very harsh to be trailing at the interval as any neutral would have thought we were the Premier league team in the first half," said Bogie.

"The three goals we concede all came from crosses which was our Achilles heel last season and we have to be better than that.

"Overall, however, it was very encouraging. In the first half we played with real quality. There were lots of positives and we could easily have had more goals.

"Alan Pardew and John Carver will not have been happy with the opening 45 minutes and United stepped it up after the break and made it hard for us as they have good players.

"The final score was a bit harsh as Newcastle maybe shaded it by one goal but I was pleased with the way the lads have played against Huddersfield, Carlisle, Sunderland and Newcastle.

"We haven't been overawed and have acquitted ourselves very well and the quality we have brought into the side bodes well for the new season."

Gateshead ripped in to their Premier League neighbours from the off Chris Moore creating an early chance for Kyle Nix who shot over when well placed.

A James Tavernier foul on Yemi Odubade then saw Odubade smash the 25 yard free kick against the post with Harper struggling.

Only a great challenge inside the box from Ben Clark prevented Nile Ranger from putting the Magpies ahead in their first raid.

An explosive opening was capped by a goal on nine minutes. The lively Odubade was brought down inside the box and Nix sent Harper the wrong way from the spot.

The lead, however, lasted only four minutes. Chris Carruthers was unable to prevent Michael Richardson from crossing from the right and the unmarked Ameobi headed into the far corner at the back post.

The game then settled down though Ranger cut past James Curtis only to shoot straight at Paul Farman.

Curtis then slid a 38th minute driven Ameobi cross into his own net after the Magpies striker had got the better of Eddie Odhiambo on the left.

Farman then held on to a Ryan Taylor free kick that came through a crowded box and then Ameobi worked a one-two on the edge of the box to find space in the box but Farman advanced to block well.

Gateshead were unlucky not to restore parity on the stroke of half-time when Nathan Fisher found half a yard to curl a beauty from just outside the box that thudded against the far post.

Taylor was inches wide with a free kick after the restart and then Curtis headed narrowly wide after substitute Micky Cummins had headed a Moore centre back across goal.

The Magpies put the game to bed on the hour. The impressive Farman turned Haris Vuckic's 20 yard shot past the post at full stretch.

From Taylor's corner Moore blocked Ranger's header on the line only for the alert Ameobi to hammer home the rebound from one yard in an instance.

Vuckic then eased past Odhiambo to curl a cross from near the by-line that struck the far post.

At the other end Odubade's low cross saw Josh Gillies lay the ball into the path of Phil Turnbull, excellent in midfield, and his thunderous goalbound long range shot felled Paul Dummett.

It was another good work out in warm conditions and the likes of Tim Deasy, Craig Baxter, Josh Gillies, Martin Brittain, Gary Mulligan, Robbie Briggs and Ewan Moyes, if fit, will now get a run out in tonight's reserves friendly at Team Northumbria.


Gateshead: Farman; Odhiambo (Baxter 77), Carruthers, Gate, Curtis, Clark, Moore (Mulligan 62); Turnbull, Fisher (Gillies 73), Odubade, Nix (Cummins 46)
Subs (not used): Deasy (GK), Moyes, Briggs, Brittain


Newcastle United XI: Harper; Richardson, Tavernier, Williamson (Moyo 62), Dummett; Smith (McDermott 78), Abeid; R. Taylor (Donaldson 78), Vuckic (Airey 88), Sammy Ameobi; Ranger
Subs (not used): Soderberg (GK), Nzuzi, Inman, Edmundsson


Referee: Seb Stocksbridge (Dunston)

Attendance: 2,108


Ben Clark denies Nile Ranger

Ben Clark denies Nile Ranger


Winger Chris Moore battles for the ball

Winger Chris Moore battles for the ball


Eddie Odhiambo challenges Sammy Ameobi

Eddie Odhiambo challenges Sammy Ameobi


Eddie Odhiambo wins the header

Eddie Odhiambo wins the header


Nathan Fisher skips round a Newcastle challenge

Nathan Fisher skips round a Newcastle challenge


Phil Turnbull

Phil Turnbull in possession


Tyne and Wear stand crowd

Photos by Simon Barclay and Michael Riddle.