Gateshead 2-0 Carlisle United - Match abandoned after 58 mins

16/07/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Yemi OdubadeGateshead will head for their training camp in the Lakes in good heart after an encouraging hour against League One outfit Carlisle United.

The Tynesiders produced a sparkling first half display and were two goals ahead when referee Seb Stocksbridge was left with no option but to abandon the game after 58 minutes.

With water lying on various parts of the pitch and the rain hammering down already difficult conditions had become unplayable.

The game marked first goals for the Heed from summer signing Yemi Odubade and trialist Kyle Nix, the latter from the penalty spot.

"The groundstaff did a great job to get the game on" said manager Ian Bogie "the rain had been relentless all day and you can't do anything about the elements.

"The referee made the right decision to call the game off when he did but I was delighted with our first half performance - I was really pleased with what I saw.

"We were excellent in difficult conditions. Some of the passing was superb. The first goal was an excellent finish and the second was a definite penalty.

"There was some great interplay and performances in the first half but I'm not going to shout from the rooftops because we were two up against a good Carlisle side.

"It is pre-season and we've now got to perform at that level consistently and take it into next week's friendlies at Kendal and Workington.'

With the ball sticking in certain areas on a waterlogged surface Ben Clark had to produce a rescue act in the 5th minute after his backpass stuck in the water and Craig Curran was almost in.

Micky Cummins then fed Eddie Odhiambo. The full back nutmegged Steve Swinglehurst inside the box and found Nix whose shot was blocked by Stephen O'Halloran.

Zoko threaded a ball through to new boy Andy Welsh at the other end but the former Sunderland midfielder shot straight at Paul Farman.

Cummins' pinpoint cross from the right then picked out Chris Moore but the trialist headed just wide.

Gateshead were playing well and driving forward as the heavy rain continued to fall and took a deserved lead midway through the half.

Odubade ran at the United defence, motored past Steve Swinglehurst and into the right side of the box before drilling a shot into the far bottom corner.

It was a great finish from the former Oxford United and Stevenage front man and rookie defender Swinglehurst was culpable again for Gateshead's second goal.

A superb short chip from Phil Turnbull just outside the penalty area saw Jon Shaw impeded by Swinglehurst as he was about to pull the trigger.

Nix confidently dispatched the spot kick to give Gateshead a two goal cushion against Johnstone's Paint Trophy winners Carlisle.

United made ten changes for the second half and Gateshead four, Foxes summer signing Jon-Paul McGovern testing Tim Deasy early on.

McGovern's 25 yard angled drive was heading for the far corner when Deasy flung himself to his left to tip the ball to safety.

Moore could then have made it three after accelerating into the box but was let down by a heavy touch and Mark Gillespie gratefully collected.

It proved to be the last action of an entertaining game as referee Stocksbridge sensibly called time on proceedings and allowed the players to head for the sanctuary of the dressing room.


Gateshead: Farman (Deasy 46), Odhiambo, Rents (Baxter 46), Curtis, Clark, Nix, Turnbull (Gate 46), Cummins, Moore, Shaw (Mulligan 46), Odubade
Subs (not used): Gillies, Briggs


Carlisle United: Collin, Simek, Michalik, O'Halloran, Swinglehurst, Berrett, Mikkelsen, Noble, Curran, Zoko, Welsh
Subs: Gillespie (gk), Livesey, Murphy, Robson, Taiwo, Todd, Green, McGovern, Madden, Loy


Att: 589


Gateshead v Carlisle is abandoned

Heavy rain during the second half led to the match being abandoned after 58 mins.


Yemi Odubade

Yemi Odubade.


Kyle Nix scores from the penalty spot

Kyle Nix scores from the penalty spot.


Adam Collin is beaten from the penalty spot

Carlisle keeper Adam Collin is beaten from the penalty spot.


Craig Baxter

Craig Baxter.


Kyle Nix battles the rain

Kyle Nix battles the conditions. Photos by: Simon Barclay