Gateshead 6-0 Hampton & Richmond Borough

16/01/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Jon ShawTop scorer Jon Shaw led the way with a hat-trick as Gateshead turned in a top-drawer display to sweep aside Conference South outfit Hampton & Richmond Borough and progress to the last 16 of the FA Trophy.

It was a thoroughly professional display by the Tynesiders who racked up an astonishing 27 attempts at goal in a one-sided tie.

Hampton & Richmond were still in the contest at the break after defending resolutely apart from failing to react when Shaw peeled off his marker to break the deadlock eight minutes from the interval.

The second half, however, saw the Beavers fall apart after Shaw had notched his second three minutes after the break, the siege on the Hampton goal providing target practice for a side that has found goals hard to come by this season.

The Beavers hadn't conceded more than two goals in any of their 15 away games this season, only three of which had been defeats, but they were shown no mercy by an impressive Gateshead who never took their foot off the gas.

It would be inapropriate to catalogue all 27 attempts at goal by Ian Bogie's side with an outgunned Hampton creating only two half chances in the game.

Gateshead dominated in midfield and the Beavers never got to grips with Martin Brittain out wide who provided a constant flow of quality crosses into the danger area, Shaw the beneficiary on three occasions.

Gateshead peppered the Beavers goal for 90 minutes and had gone close several times before Shaw peeled off his marker to glance a header into the far corner from Brittain's left side corner.

Brittain and Joan Edmundsson efforts had been off target before another Michael Liddle left foot special had to be turned around the post by Adam Carpenter.

Nathan Fisher then ran at the Borough defence only to shoot past the post while an under pressure Orlando Jeffery almost headed into his own net.

Midfield duo Kris Gate and Phil Turnbull were next to try their luck as Hampton got men behind the ball in numbers without registering a shot at goal in the first half, during which Gateshead forced ten corners.

After Shaw had broken the deadlock he made the most of time and space to head his second from another Brittain cross.

Tim Deasy then made one of only two saves with a simple gather from Ian Hodges' header, Hodges then clearing Shaw's mishit shot off the line at the other end.

Turnbull's 25 yard drive hit the keeper and was then scrambled clear before Shaw completed his first Gateshead hat-trick on the hour with a volleyed tap-in from yet another Brittain cross.

With Barrow on Tyneside on Tuesday Shaw was replaced by Brian Wake shortly afterwards, Gate the next in on goal only to be denied by Carpenter.

Turnbull was inches wide again while Wake headed a Gate cross straight at Carpenter.

The fourth goal arrived on 75 minutes. A slide rule pass from Liddle saw sub Josh Gillies pull the ball back from the by-line for Fisher to finish clinically.

Hampton & Richmond now resembled a punch drunk boxer in nee of smelling salts and praying for the bell to to sound, but there was to be more punishment to come.

Fisher's cross-shot should have been meat and drink for Carpenter but the shell-shocked keeper inexplicably fumbled the ball on the line allowing Edmundsson to head home his first Gateshead goal.

Wake, transfer listed earlier in the week, then put the icing on the cake when he took Edmuindsson's pass to cut inside a defender and hammer the ball into the back of the net.

Briliant stuff and Gateshead's best win of the season by some distance, dejected Beavers boss Alan Devonshire accepting it had been 'men against boys' in a second half that brought five goals for Bogie's men.

The only down side to the victory was a recurrence of central defender James Curtis's foot injury, Craig Baxter deputising at half-time with James Tavernier switching to centre half.

Gateshead will now look for another favourable home tie when the third round of the FA Trophy is drawn on Monday.


Gateshead: Deasy, Tavernier, Liddle, Gate, Curtis (Baxter 46), Clark, Brittain (Gillies 70), Turnbull, Shaw (Wake 64), Fisher, Edmundsson
Subs (not used): Farman (gk), Marwood

Goals: Shaw (37, 48, 61), Fisher (75), Edmundsson (87), Wake (89)

Bookings: None

Attempts On: 18, Attempts Off: 9, Corners: 12, Fouls Conceeded: 8, Yellow Cards: 0, Red Cards: 0


Hampton & Richmond: Carpenter, Adams (Tarpey 56), Tanner, Jeffery, Stevens (Rochester 76), Wells, Collier, Inman, Hodges, Yaku
Subs (not used): Moone, Lovett (gk)

Booking: Wells (41)

Attempts On: 1, Attempts Off: 1, Corners: 4, Fouls Conceeded: 6, Yellow Cards: 1, Red Cards: 0


Referee: Paul Graham (Manchester)

Att: 336


James Tavernier

James Tavernier


Nathan Fisher

Nathan Fisher


Joan Simun Edmundsson

Joan Simun Edmundsson


Brian Wake

Brian Wake. Photos by Martin Avery.