Southport 0-1 Gateshead

12/01/2011, by Jeff Bowron

Nathan FisherGateshead defeated Southport for the second time this season with a last minute goal to progress to the last 32 of the FA Trophy.

Craig Nelthorpe's last gasp strike gave Gateshead a 1-0 league win in September and Nathan Fisher repeated the feat in an FA Trophy replay at Haig Avenue.

A dour tie looked to be heading for extra-time when Northern League Golden Boot holder Fisher blasted a superb strike into the top corner.

It was swift revenge for the 5-1 Conference Premier defeat at Southport last week, Gateshead now at home to Hampton & Richmond Borough in the second round on Saturday.

Unable to call upon loan trio Michael Liddle, James Tavernier and Joan Edmundsson Gateshead handed first starts to youngster David Brown and Steven Baptist on the left.

Captain Ben Clark dropped back to stiffen a defence that was rarely tested in an uneventful first half.

Former Everton trainee John Paul Kissock fired over from 18 yards and then Chris Simm got the better of central defender James Curtis.

Simm's shot called Tim Deasy into action for the first time, the Tynesiders keeper holding on to the ball at the second attempt.

Phil Turnbull and Andy Ferrell long range free kicks were easily dealt with
Gateshead's leading scorer Jon Shaw then combined with Phil Turnbull but his strong run was ended by Rob Marsh-Evans timely tackle before he could pull the trigger.

Gateshead then had a good spell with Clark heading over the bar from James Marwood's measured free kick.

Good work down the left from Baptist then produced another chance which Shaw headed wide.

Gateshead continued to call the tune and right back Craig Baxter tested Tony McMillan with a driven free kick just before the break.

A clever knock down from Simm saw Tony Gray fire over from the edge of the box after the restart and Deasy was given a yellow card after clattering Simm outside the box.

Curtis missed a great chance to give Gateshead the lead when he headed straight at McMillan after Phil Turnbull had flicked on a James Marwood corner.

Southport also had their chances in a better second half with Simm firing wide three minutes from time but it was Fisher's second goal for Gateshead that settled an evenly fought game.


Southport: McMillan, Williams, Lever, Flynn, Marsh-Evans, Lee (Powell 42), Blakeman (McNeil 79), Moogan, Simm, T. Gray (Barratt 79), Kissock
Subs (not used): Dickinson (gk), S. Gray


Gateshead: Deasy, Baxter, Brown, Gate, Curtis, Clark, Marwood (Brittain 90) Turnbull, Shaw (Mulligan 81), Ferrell (Fisher 73), Baptist
Subs ( not used): Farman (gk), Jones


Referee: Steve Martin (Staffordshire)

Att: 302


Jon Shaw

Jon Shaw


David Brown and Steven Baptist

David Brown and Steven Baptist


David Brown

David Brown. Photos by Julia Urwin.