Gateshead 2-2 Southport

15/12/2010, by Jeff Bowron

Alan WhiteGateshead face an unwanted FA Trophy replay four days before Christmas at Haig Avenue after they failed to beat Conference strugglers Southport at the first attempt.

The ring rusty Tynesiders were well below par but came from behind to lead only to concede the equaliser from a disputed penalty seven minutes from time.

The first half provided little in the way of entertainment for a sparse crowd as Southport went long and Gateshead struggled to get their passing game together.

Kris Gate was well wide from 25 yards and then a better first touch inside the box from Andy Ferrell's cross would have produced a clear chance for the schemer.

With Jon Shaw a periphery figure in the opening half it was left to strike partner Gary Mulligan to carry the Tynesiders attacking threat.

Another Ferrell cross saw Mulligan head wide of the near post and then Mulligan flashed an inviting centre across the face of goal.

Gateshead had the better of the final 20 minutes of the half but were almost undone by Kevin Lee's long diagonal ball.

Steve Daly was the recipient but the striker's volley from the left side of the box flew past the angle.

Any hopes of Gateshead upping the ante after the break soon dissipated as a catalogue of errors handed Southport a 56th minute lead.

Misplaced passes from Carl Jones, a second half replacement for the injured Paul Heckingbottom, and Ferrell were compounded by Phil Turnbull's poor touch.

Turnbull, in attempting to retrieve the situation, succeeded only in sliding the ball into the path of Daly inside the box and the striker calmly shot past Paul Farman.

Paul Barratt could have doubled the lead when Gateshead were left exposed at the back but shot over before the Tynesiders, finally stung into action, hit back with two goals in three minutes.

Shaw's measured cross from the byline was headed home by veteran defender Alan White at the back post for his first goal for the club.

Both sides had scored with their first attempt on target which said everything about a scrappy, low-key game but Gateshead were ahead when Shaw headed home at the near post from Martin Brittain's corner.

The tables had been turned but Southport hit back as the cup-tie belatedly came to life, Farman having to claw clear Earl Davis's flicked header from McGinn's long throw.

The Sandgrounders then earned a replay with a controversial penalty after a number of players had gone down in reacting to a lofted ball into the box.

Doncaster referee Richard Wigglesworth judged that Ben Clark had wrestled Davis to the ground and McGinn sent Farman the wrong way from the spot.

Gateshead's frustration saw Gate booked for contesting the decision and then sent off for a second yellow three minutes later following a trip in the middle of the park.


Gateshead: Farman, Baxter, Heckingbottom Jones 46), Gate, White, Clark, Brittain, Turnbull, Shaw, Mulligan, Ferrell (Nelthorpe 63).
Subs (not used): Deasy (gk), Allan, Wake

Goals: White (71), Shaw (74)


Southport: McMillan, Lee, Flynn, Davis, Howell, Moogan, Daly (Simm 69), McGinn, Barratt, Williams, McNeil (s.Gray 69)
Subs (not used): T.Gray, Morley, Dickinson

Goals: Daly (56), McGinn (83-pen)


Referee: Richard Wigglesworth (Doncaster)

Att: 233


Gary Mulligan attacks the Southport defence

Gary Mulligan attacks the Southport defence


Steve Daly scores for Southport

Steve Daly scores for Southport


Gateshead players celebrate

Gateshead players celebrate - Photos by Steven Hadlow