Gateshead 0-2 Kidderminster Harriers

10/04/2010, by Jeff Bowron

Andy FerrellGateshead's relegation fight could go to the wire after an abject second half display handed Kidderminster Harriers their first Conference away win since November.

Two late Chris McPhee goals sealed Gateshead's feat but the writing had been on the wall throughout the second period.

Gateshead had bossed the opening 45 minutes without breaking through but were distinctly second best after the break.

The Tynesiders now face a relegation crunch at Ebbsfleet on Saturday before wrapping up the season with home games against probable champions Stevenage and AFC Wimbledon.

"We were the better side in the first half without working the keeper but our delivery was awful and the second half was a non-entity for us," said Gateshead boss Ian Bogie.

"There was no spark and it was a bitterly disappointing performance. We didn't do enough to win the game and must show more fight and spirit.

"Some of the players weren't up for it and to take another step back is a major disappointment - but the battle is still there to be won."

In a classic game of two halves a travel weary Kidderminster were poor in the first period but the goal that Gateshead needed to settle their nerves didn't come.

Craig Baxter hit a first minute free kick into the defensive wall with his follow up shot deflected wide as the Tynesiders began on the front foot.

Chris McPhee then had to head an excellent Andy Parkinson cross clear before a home striker could pounce while Peter Winn was inches wide with an angled drive.

Daryl Clare's flick then saw Gateshead three on two but Winn shot just wide of the far post from Graeme Armstrong's measured chip.

Winn then got the better of McPhee in the opening minute of the second half but Clare couldn't get enough purchase on his header from the winger's cross.

From then on the Harriers, galvanised by a double substitution during the interval, stepped up several gears to create numerous chances that went begging until McPhee's late double.

McPhee missed a great opening while Robbie Matthews, Lloyd Kerry and the influential Daryl Knights were all off target with Wayne Phillips having Gateshead's only threat on goal.

It was no surprise when McPhee broke the deadlock on 75 minutes when he found the far corner after good work from Knights and Brian Smikle.

It was all over six minutes later when McPhee headed home a Knights cross as Harriers second game in 48 hours provided only their second win in 12 games.

"We were still on the bus in the first half and looked out on our feet," said Harriers manager Steve Burr "but I made changes at half-time and in the second half we created a lot of chances and fully deserved the win."


Gateshead: Farman, Baxter, Cave (Jones 71), Ferrell, Swailes, Heckingbottom, Parkinson (Phillips 34), Turnbull, Armstrong, Clare, Winn (Hurren 71). Subs (not used): Provett (gk), Wake.



Kidderminster Harriers: Atkins, Baker, Finnigan, Riley, McPhee, Sharpe, Matthews (Knights 73), Lawrie (Smikle 46), Byrne (Bennett 46), kerry, Prosser. Subs (not used): Singh (gk), Goodfellow.



Att: 602

Referee: Michael Naylor (Sheffield)

Match highlights on Gateshead FC TV...