Histon 0-0 Gateshead

08/03/2010, by Jeff Bowron

Brian WakeGateshead picked up a point in their battle for Blue Square Premier survival - but were disappointed it wasn't all three in Cambridgeshire.

Hosts Histon hadn't scored for three games and, while their front pair were lively, they were unable to prevent the barren spell in front of goal from reaching four games.

This goalless stalemate meant only two goals have been scored in the Tynesiders last three games - one at each end - and the one conceded was disputed.

The back four are looking much more solid but the flip side is that goals have been hard to come by at the other end.

Unlike in the midweek defeat at Tamworth the Tynesiders created chances at the Glassworld Stadium but didn't take them.

"We created four clear cut chances, three of them in the second half, and at this level you have to make it count," said coach Paul Thompson.

"Brian Wake had two one-on-one chances and Daryl Clare and Peter Winn also spurned good openings and we should have got the win we were looking for.

"We should have had more than one point from our away games at Tamworth and Histon this week

and the fact we haven't keeps the pressure on.

"Winning our home games is going to be absolutely pivotal and we need back-to-back wins against Forest Green and Wrexham this month."

"The defence has had its critics but we have looked very solid in the last three games and Carl Jones in particular has been outstanding."

Jones and Chris Swailes had to clear efforts off the line from Charlie Sheringham, Teddy's son, and the on loan Andy Pugh.

The Stutes were without a number of their contract rebels and fielded their weakest side of the season, but showed plenty of spirit.

Clare spun away from his marker to draw new Histon goalkeeper David Knight on the half hour but failed to find the net, his shot turned away for a corner.

Pugh and Sheringham then misssed two half chances as the opening 45 minutes ended goalless.

Gateshead called the tune after the break but their luck was out when Phil Turnbull's 25 yard drive thudded against the post in the 55th minute.

On loan Scunthorpe wide man Peter Winn then screwed wide from close range as the Tynesiders looked to turn their domination into goals.

Wake failed to make the most of two chances as he bore down on goal, unable to pull the trigger on the first and shooting tamely at Knight on the second occasion.

Amy Fearn, only the second female to referee a Gateshead league game, compounded the frustration by handing Andy Ferrell his 10th caution of the campaign.

The midfielder will now sit out the next two games and with captain Kris Gate out for three weeks Gateshead will attempt to bolster their midfield with a loan signing this week.

Stutes manager Alan Lewer meanwhile paid tribute to his patched up side and the club's fans.

"The supporters were magnificent, they really got behind the lads, and these players deserved their chance," said Lewer.

"They are young, they are learning the game and I couldn't fault their effort. You could see their desire to keep the shirt.

"The keeper, David Knight, was outstanding, and the lad up front Andy Pugh will get goals for us, he went very close a couple of times.

"Overall we've got to be delighted with the way those boys reacted against Gateshead."

Histon: Knight, Stewart (York 27), Tann, Bygrave, Gwillim, Okay, Southam, Smith, Sparkes, Sheringham, Pugh.
Subs (not used): Key, Tidswell, Stevenson, Taffe.

Booked: York.

Gateshead: Farman, Baxter, Heckingbottom, Ferrell, Swailes, Jones, Parkinson (Francis 88), Turnbull, Wake (Armstrong 76), Clare, Winn
Subs (not used): Provett (gk), Phillips, Buchanan.

Booked: Ferrell.

Att: 645.

Ref: Amy Fearn (Leicestershire).


Down but not out - Phil Turnbull went closest to breaking the deadlock at Histon

Down but not out - Phil Turnbull went closest to breaking the deadlock at Histon.


Brian Wake holds the ball up during the goalless stalemate at the Glassworld Stadium

Brian Wake holds the ball up during the goalless stalemate at the Glassworld Stadium. Photos courtesy of Steve Wells, Histon FC.