Mansfield Town 0-2 Gateshead

07/02/2010, by Jeff Bowron

Brian WakeA superb Brian Wake double saw Gateshead ruin the Stags party and give an improving Gateshead their first Blue Square Premier win of the new year.

A goal in the first five minutes of each half from transfer window signing Wake saw Gateshead pull off a shock win at fourth top Mansfield Town.

It was a great all round performance with an enterprising first half followed by a determined effort to keep the door locked in the second.

The Stags finally threatened late in the game only to be thwarted by the excellent Paul Farman who made a stunning double save in injury time.

A huge 7,261 Field Mill crowd that had taken advantage of an innovative 'pay what you want' experiment forced the kick-off to be delayed for 20 minutes.

That forced the North Stand away end, which housed the Gateshead fans, to be opened to home supporters as well as the size of the crowd exceeded all expectations.

It was the Tynesiders however who rose to the occasion as the Stags got caught in the headlights and manager Ian Bogie was thrilled with his side's efforts.

"It was a carnival atmosphere and we were expected to roll over but the lads put on a tremendous display - the best of the season.

"We should have been out of sight by half-time. We were full value for the win and 2-0 flattered Mansfield.

"There is no doubt the new signings have given us a boost and Wake showed what a good striker he is, not just with his goals but his overall play.

"He will take the plaudits but there were big performances all across the pitch. The back line were fantastic and they deserved the clean sheet.

"We showed great fighting spirit and desire, and no little skill , and this performance has given everyone a lift, not least the players and the supporters.

"It is a proud day for the club and one that has been a long time coming but we must now take the last two displays into this week's games against Barrow and Hayes & Yeading."

The impressive win was achieved without leading scorer Daryl Clare who will return for the third round FA Trophy replay against Barrow on Tuesday.

Wake, making his first start after two appearances off the bench, got Gateshead off to the perfect start when he ran at the home defence, cut inside and then fired into the bottom corner from outside the box.

The 27 year old Teesider had other chances, shooting against Alan Marriott's legs and then failing to turn in James Curtis' headed flick on following a long throw when he looked a certain scorer.

Graeme Armstrong shot straight at Marriot from six yards as Mansfield continued to struggle and the only disappointment was that Gateshead were not more than one goal to the good at half-time.

Mark Robinson's ball over the top two minutes into the second period changed all that as Wake produced another clinical finish to double the lead.

The Stags were kept at arms length until a late bombardment saw young keeper Farman perform heroics with fine saves from Kyle Perry, Jake Speight and Jon Shaw's header, including a superb double save.

While Gateshead celebrated a famous victory Mansfield were left to lick their wounds after they had flopped in front of the biggest crowd at Field Mill for eight years.

The attendance was even larger than the one that saw the FA Cup 4th round home defeat against Middlesbrough in 2008 and manager David Holdsworth was furious after his side failed to rise to the occasion.

"The fans were excellent and it was a wonderful gesture from the board to let them in for what they wanted to pay," said Holdsworth.

"I am extremely disappointed for the supporters to witness such a poor first half and the players were given a rollicking at half-time, and rightly so."

"Alan Marriott kept us in it as we could have been blown away in the first half - if the players can't play in front of 7,000 they shouldn't be in football."

Mansfield Town: Marriott, Armstrong, Foster, Jones, Silk, Williams, Somner, Hotchkiss (Challinor 45), Briscoe (Perry 45), Duffy (Shaw 68), Speight.
Subs (not used): Collett, Brough.

Gateshead: Farman, Williams, Robinson, Gate, Curtis, Jones, Sinclair (McDermott 67), Ferrell, Armstrong (Francis 68), Wake, Winn
Subs (not used): Provett (gk), Baxter, Bains

Goals: Wake (5, 47)

Booking: Ferrell

Referee: Andy Hedley ( West Midlands)

Att: 7,261