Barrow 1-1 Gateshead

03/02/2010, by Jeff Bowron

James CurtisGateshead remain on the Wembley trail in the FA Trophy after a battling third round draw in Cumbria and will now look to finish the job on Tyneside next Tuesday.

A first goal of the season from giant central defender James Curtis cancelled out Andy Bond's 62nd minute opener from the penalty spot with York City awaiting the victors in the quarter-final.

In a lively opening Gateshead captain Kris Gate volleyed wide while Tim Deasy needed treatment after saving at the feet of Graeme Armstrong who had raced onto a through ball.

The Tynesiders, with defender Carl Jones making his first start since August, caused further problems when a half cleared corner saw Gate's shot deflected wide.

James Sinclair's flicked header then brought an important save from Deasy at his near post before Barrow got a foothold in the game.

Teenage debutant Luke Powell had a shot saved by Paul Farman before the Bluebirds almost broke the deadlock just before the half hour.

Carlos Logan's drive from the right side of the penalty area came back off the post and then Farman saved from Greg Blundell to ensure the first half ended goalless

Gateshead should have claimed the lead two minutes after the restart when Craig Baxter's free kick saw Daryl Clare's shot blocked only for Deasy's full length to deny Armstrong.

Blundell was then narrowly off target from just outside the box while Gateshead substitute Brian Wake, who had replaced Armstrong, tested Deasy a minute after joining the action.

The Tynesiders were giving as good as they got in an end-to-end tie but fell behind on the hour when a Logan corner saw Rob Hulbert brought down in the box by Mark Robinson.

Bond drilled home the resultant penalty but Gateshead earned a replay eight minutes later when Deasy tipped over from Robinson and Curtis headed home Sinclair's resultant corner.

Both sides were unable to find a winner and Barrow will now travel to Tyneside on consecutive Tuesday's, in the FA Trophy and Blue Square Premier.

Gateshead manager Ian Bogie said: "It was a very even cup-tie with one or two chances at each end though neither goalkeeper was peppered.

"We were very solid through the middle and defended much better against a side who, like us, like to get the ball down and use the width.

"Brian Wake did well when he came on in the second half and Daryl Clare, who can't play against former club Mansfield Town on Saturday, was a lot sharper.

"It was also a good effort from Carl Jones who hasn't played since August and a number of players had good games in what was an entertaining cup-tie."

Barrow joint-manager Dave Bayliss not surprisingly was the less happy of the two managers and didn't agree with the general consensus that a draw was a fair result.

"We had the better of the chances and hit the post but gifted them a goal and Gateshead then came into the game," said Bayliss.

"Before that we were never in any danger. Once again we can't see a game through and didn't deal with a ball down the middle and a cross into the box.

"We shouldn't need to go to Gateshead next Tuesday because we had enough chances but shot ourselves in the foot."

Barrow: Deacy, Spender, Pearson, Bolland, Jellyman, Logan (Wiles 75), Hulbert Blundell, Powell (Walker 63), Bond, Rutherford
Subs: (not used) Jones, Tomlinson, Boyd

Gateshead: Farman, Baxter, Robinson, Gate, Curtis, Jones, McDermott (Turnbull 74), Williams, Armstrong (Wake 58), Clare, Sinclair (Richardson 71)
Subs: (not used) Provett (gk), Swailes

Referee: Richard Wigglesworth (Doncaster)

Att: 1,200

Gateshead goalkeeper Paul Farman and defender Craig Baxter can only look on as Carlos Logan's 25th minute shot comes back off the post

Gateshead goalkeeper Paul Farman and defender Craig Baxter can only look on as Carlos Logan's 25th minute shot comes back off the post. Photo courtesy of the North West Evening Mail.