Gateshead 1-3 Mansfield Town

Gateshead manager Ian Bogie has promised changes for Saturday's trip to sixth top AFC Wimbledon after he saw his side slip to a 3-1 defeat at home to promotion chasing Mansfield Town.

The Tynesiders were fortunate to take an interval lead, Michael Mackay striking in injury time, after they had failed to utilise the wind at their back in the first half.

Mansfield made the most of the conditions after the break to take the lead through two set plays and then added a flattering third in stoppage time.

The conditions once again meant good football was difficult, if nigh on impossible, with a swirling wind augmented by driving sleet in the second half.

Gateshead have still to put back-to-back wins together in the Blue Square Premier and Bogie was unimpressed by his side's efforts.

"It was an awful game of football, dictated by the weather," said Bogie "but we had the wind in the first half and hardly had a shot at goal and there was no delivery from wide areas.

"In the second half against the wind I expected the experienced players to come to the fore and not do stupid things - but they did the exact opposite.

"From 1-0 up at half-time we should have gone on to win the game but some players were going through the motions and there were some poor performances.

"It was a spirited effort by some players but others let me down and there will be changes for the game at Wimbledon."

There was little goalmouth action in the opening 45 minutes to warm up a crowd of 643, though the recalled Mackay, in for the unavailable Daryl Clare, had an effort saved by Alan Marriott.

Louis Briscoe put a sideways volley past the angle at the other end before Mackay ran on to a long Paul Farman clearance to nudge the ball past the advancing Marriott.

Mackay had a gilt edged chance to double the lead ten minutes after the restart when put in by Craig Baxter but failed to make the most of the opportunity.

A needless Darren Williams foul from behind on Kyle Perry then saw on loan Leeds United schemer Ollie Hotchkiss curl a superb 25 yard free kick into the top corner on the hour.

Scott Garner was then inches wide from 22 yards before a 69th minute Andy Burgess corner sailed into the far corner despite the best efforts of Baxter on the line.

It was a poor goal to concede and Burgess had a close range shot deflected just wide after a long throw from Jon Challinor had been flicked on.

On loan Andy Haworth was Gateshead's likeliest saviour, the Blackburn Rovers winger's surging run ending with a powerful shot that flew just wide of the far post.

Haworth had a half chance following a Baxter long throw and then shot wide from 18 yards before the Stags put the game to bed in injury time.

On loan Hereford United front man Lee Morris finished clinically when left with only Farman to beat - all three visiting players scoring their first goal for Mansfield Town.

To compound Gateshead's misery on loan Scunthorpe United wide man Peter Winn damaged ankle ligaments in the first half and could be out for several weeks.

Gateshead: Farman, Baxter, Cave, Gate, Curtis, Williams (Swailes 69), Haworth, Keltie, Armstrong (Richardson 69), Mackay, Winn (Phillips 31)
Subs: (not used) Provett (gk), McDermott

Referee: Darren Bond (Lancashire)
Att: 643

By Jeff Bowron

Michael Mackay is thwarted by Stags goalkeeper Alan Marriott.

Michael Mackay is thwarted by Stags goalkeeper Alan Marriott. Photo: Steven Hadlow