York City 1-0 Gateshead

It is 50 years since Gateshead last played at Bootham Crescent - and a half century wait brought exactly the same outcome.

A Billy Hughes goal in front of a 9,033 crowd gave the Minstermen a 1-0 Fourth Division win back in April 1959.

Fast forward 50 years and a close range Alex Lawless header midway through the first half was enough to give York another single goal win, this time in the top flight of non-league football.

In terms of possession Gateshead, who bossed the second half at the currently named Kit-Kat Crescent, deserved a draw.

But just as on several other occasions away from home the Tynesiders returned pointless as York stretched their unbeaten home record to 16 games and moved up to third.

For Luton Town (1-2), Chester City (1-2), Kidderminster Harriers (2-3), Altrincham (2-3) you can add York City - all games on the road that Gateshead should not have lost.

Ian Bogie's side played well in the majority of these games but, for a variety of reasons went unrewarded, a point not lost on the Gateshead manager.

"There is a fine line between success and failure in this league," he said "we've gone toe-to-toe with virtually everyone , including the top six, but the reality is we haven't won enough games of football.

"We matched York for much of the game and were the better side in the second half but it is too often the opposition that walk away with the points.

"It was the same old story. We played York off the park in the second half but had no goal threat and never looked like scoring.

"The shots at goal were woeful and we rarely worked Michael Ingham in the home goal. We had lots of possession but our work in the final third was poor.

"Too often the final shot, pass or delivery was wanting and while there were positives we have again come away with nothing.

"The harsh reality is that we are fifth bottom and I'm hoping to have a couple of new faces in the side to face Crawley Town at the International Stadium on Saturday."

In form York opened with all guns blazing with Michael Rankine, a handful all night, shooting against Paul Farman's legs in the opening minute.

Rankine then sprung the offside trap to knock the ball past the advancing Farman only for Phil Cave to clear three yards from the line.

Wide men Andy Haworth and Peter Winn were both off target at the other end which housed a sizeable contingent who had made the journey from Tyneside.

Gateshead had weathered the early storm but they were undone by a set piece after 24 minutes.

Chris Carruthers right side corner was headed goalwards by Michael Gash for Lawless to flick a close range header into the top corner.

The Tynesiders had Phil Cave on the line monitoring the near post but no-one on the back post, Craig Baxter having decided to help out Farman who had been baulked in the previous corner.

A foul on Daryl Clare, whose touch and link up play was superb, then saw the on loan Mansfield Town striker curl the resultant free kick inches wide from 22 yards.

A short corner involving Phil Turnbull and Haworth saw the former's cross headed wide by Kris Gate while a Rankine thunderbolt was straight at the impressive Farman.

Gateshead had ended the half strongly and they dictated play after the break only to be held at arms length by a solid York defence.

The Tynesiders twice went close just past the hour. Armand One headed on a long Baxter throw and Daniel Parslow put a diving header narrowly wide of his own goal.

A Winn corner then picked out the unmarked Swailes only for the veteran defender's powerful free header to be cleared off the line by James Meredith.

The former Ipswich Town player then looked set to score his first goal for his hometown club when the clearance came straight back to him - only to blaze over from five yards.

It was the defining moment of the game for Bogie's men and York finally threatened late on when Farman saved comfortably from Adam Smith and Carruthers shot over from 16 yards.

Gate looped a shot over and Turnbull and Wayne Phillips efforts from distance were straight at Ingham as Gateshead just pulled up short.

"Once again we've received plaudits for our quality of football and have been told we are too good to go down," added Bogie "but the reality is we need to beat Crawley Town on Saturday."

York manager Martin Foyle, a former team-mate of Bogie's at Port Vale, was delighted with the three points and another clean sheet.

"We had a few tired legs and rode our luck once when Ranks (Rankine) lost Swailes and it was a good clearance off the line but this was a fantastic three points.

"The conditions weren't great, it was very blustery, but we had two great chances in the opening five minutes and should have been ahead.

"We didn't cause Gateshead a lot of problems in the second half but who cares at this stage of the season !"

GATESHEAD: Farman, Baxter, Cave, Gate, Swailes, Williams, Haworth (Phillips 71), Turnbull, One (Mackay 82), Clare, Winn (Francis 86).

Subs (not used): Provett (GK), Pelonde.

Referee: Jake Collin (Liverpool)

Attendance: 2,302

By Jeff Bowron