Gateshead 2 - 0 Lincoln United

Gateshead made it 12 games unbeaten in all competitions after a hard-fought victory over a resurgent Lincoln United side at the International Stadium on Wednesday.

An 83rd minute Steve Salvin strike and an injury time Paul Brayson goal ensured the Tynesiders grabbed an important three points to cement their place in the top five.

It was the home side who created the first real chance of note after nine minutes when trickery inside the area saw Phillips turn and shoot only for the Lincoln keeper to save low to his left.

12 minutes later the away side, bottom of the league despite consecutive victories, had arguably their best chance of the game when a direct freekick from 25 yards evaded everyone and rattled Musselwhite's crossbar in the Gateshead goal.

Shortly before the half hour mark the hosts could have taken the lead when Phillips found Kris Gate whose cross was met by the Lincoln defence when Graeme Armstrong looked set to pounce at the near post.

Ten minutes before the interval a Craig Baxter long throw was not dealt with and Brayson found space in the area however his shot fell wide with Jamie Harwood arriving at the back post.

Half Time: 0-0

With Lincoln seemingly happy to settle for a point Gateshead were having the lions share of possession and creating the better chances one of which came on the hour mark when Harwood found Phil Cave who delivered a first time cross to Armstrong who headed just wide.

20 minutes from time Gateshead manager Ian Bogie looked to change things with a double substitution seeing Harwood and Phillips making way for Davey Southern and Paul Thompson who moved in to the back four with Salvin pushing up in to midfield.

Two minutes later an individual effort from Brayson saw the striker run with the ball and fire a powerful effort that beat the keeper only to rebound off the bar.

With the visitors battling hard Gateshead finally took the lead seven minutes from time when a Baxter cross from the right eventually found its way through to Salvin in the area who fired home to give the Tynesiders the lead and the three points were secured deep in to injury time when a pinpoint cross from substitute Southern found Brayson unmarked and the striker tapped home from close range to double Gateshead's advantage.

Full Time: 2-0

Gateshead: Musselwhite, Baxter, Cave (Talbot 88mins), Jones, Salvin, Gate, Turnbull, Harwood (Southern 68mins), Armstrong, Brayson, Phillips (Thompson 68mins)

Subs: Talbot, Southern, Thompson